Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd agree that maybe Kindle isn't optimized, but I'm only using it to load a book, and then it sits there and I read it. Its not like its really doing anything. But again I don't know that in the background its not doing anything. Task manager puts it at 1% CPU usage.

But Kindle isn't the only thing. Its everything or anything.

I'm not expecting to get 8 hours of day to day usage. I'm :
    #1 Disappointed that my normal usage which I don't think is to intensive, gets 4 hours of battery

#No matter what I do, watch locally stored movie, web browse 1 tab no flash, the most battery life I get is 4.5 hours. I haven't even ever just once hit anything over 5 hours.

Ive read every forum I could find, and have done every battery saving technique, and still nothing over 5 hours on even the lightest usage.

2. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

I easily get more than that. I'd suggest downloading and running both Process Explorer (to monitor what is currently running, as task manager is garbage) and Autoruns to stop stuff that doesn't need to be run at startup. Both are free and really first steps to figuring stuff like this out.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I would do a reset, not fun but others who were seeing the same behavior saw a stark improvement after a reset....

4. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, and good advice.
    I don't get why exactly I would need to do this, as Ive only installed a few programs, and I always know what is running and make sure to close out of things that I'm not using. Since the surface CPU and SSD are fast enough it really takes no time at all to just reopen a program so need to let it run when I'm not using it.

But I'm going to try the refresh first. Really sucks as I have to re do everything. But I'll try that. If that doesn't work, ill probably (depending on today and tom using the surface if I truly need the pen and screen or get by with laptop) return the surface and either get another one and hope that my specific model right now was bad, or get a MacBook.

I'm not an apple fan, and really like the surface and have had one since the original first launched. I personally favor the surface and hope it works out.
    But I cannot start with a new surface with the same battery as my last one. At least the power cover was usable on that one, but so far Microsoft has said no power cover for surface pro 3 as its battery is good enough already.

But tonight after school then work then meeting, ill try refreshing the surface.

5. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I am having two issues with my Bluetooth mouse on the SP3.

1) Bluetooth crashed at start.
    On occasion, when I boot the tablet or just wake from sleep, the Bluetooth mouse will not work. If I go in the event viewer, it says it failed and stopped. A restart will usually fix that.
    Is anyone experiencing such Bluetooth crash at start? If so any solution?

I want to delete all the Bluetooth stack in the device manager to have it reinstall, but before I do, I wanted to check if the Bluetooth stacks reinstalls automatically on the SP3.
    On my previous laptop, it would not, and I would need to download the appropriate installation file from the provider and re install manually.
    Given I do not know what stack to download and use, I appreciate if anyone knows if the SP3 stack will reinstall automatically.
    EDIT: I am trying to change the Bluetooth Support service Start to Automatic from Manal (triggerstart) it was on and will see if that makes a difference.

2) Preventing the Bluetooth mouse from waking up the computer.
    I cant find a way to prevent that. I went in the device manager, under Mice There were three objects, only one had a Power management tab where I could select do not allow this device to wake up the computer and it had no effect on the Bluetooth mouse.
    Under Bluetooth, my mouse property panel does not have the power management tab either.

Any Other way to prevent the Bluetooth mouse to wake the computer up?

EDIT: Even weirder. I used powercfg -devicequery wake_armed to see which devices have the wake power and it only returns the keyboard. This means I cant even use powercfg -devicedisablewake "devicename" to force disable it...
    If I put the computer to sleep, then wake it up by moving the mouse, then use powercfg -lastwake, it return a history count of 0
    So basically the mouse is not supposed to wake the computer yet it does, and whne it does it leaves no trace that it did....

Thanks for any insight

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

Count me as another Surface Pro 3 i7 user with the overheating problem. Like others, problem starts reliably if I go to the Craigslist site for the Detroit area using the Modern UI version of IE. Does not happen when I use the desktop version of IE. I've been using Piriform Speccy to monitor temps, and you can watch them start rising. If I switch away from IE, the temps drop back down again, but as soon as I switch back to IE, they go up again. As with others, going to other sites does not matter, once I've been to Craigslist, IE Metro causes this overheating issue. Sometimes, I can get away from it by closing and reopening IE Metro. But, I have had it where I had to actually restart the machine to stop the behavior.

The disturbing thing is, the only public "acknowledgement" I've seen of an overheating problem from Microsoft seems to be "Yes, it's running hotter, but you should expect that. Why, it's an i7 in there!". They only seem to address the behavior of the machine, after reboot, showing an overtemp thermometer, and saying that the threshold for is showing this symbol is set too low. Nothing about this IE11 Metro issue.

7. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi there...I'm obsessed with Moto 360 recently and did not check the forum for some days. However...I found a problem that existed when I used Surface Pro 2.
    I posted on Microsoft's support community, but I think people here might be more concerned with such an issue and the atmosphere here is great...So here it is.

A brief description of the problem is:
    The mouse cursor disapperars/misses when a laptop is plugged to an external display to be used in "Extended Desktop" mode, and that the DPI settings of the environment is customized to "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"(Control Panel-Display).

My computer set up is: Surface Pro 3, connected to an external display via Mini Displayport.
    The mouse cursor comes back when:
    -Uncheck "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays", or
    -Use only one display device, or
    -Win+P->PC Screen Only/Second Display Only->Change back to "Extended".
    I also remember having this issue when using Surface Pro 2 + Windows 8.1.

I know that due to SP3's high PPI, people hardly manually set the DPI settings to be 125%. But I when I actually do this this issue pops up. Any idea is welcome!!

8. scrambler

I am using the SP3 with an external Monitor and the option "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" and do not have the issue.

In my case the external display is 1680 x 1050, so I have set the tablet screen to be the same resolution when connected to the external display so both desktops have the same size and the mouse cursor travels naturally between both. I also use a scaling of 100% in that mode as this is what gives me the best quality on the external monitor, and works well for that resolution.

I am using a Bluetooth mouse, what type of mouse are you using? Did you try both wireless and USB?

9. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for your reply! First, I use a bluetooth mouse and in fact I use the docking station. My docking station currently has a USB nano receiver for a wireless keyboard plugged.

You pointed out a great point regarding the resolution. I tried to use 1080p resolution on both my external display (whose native resolution is FHD) and SP3, and the cursor issue is gone. However this is also some sort of compromise..though it might be the best compromise by far.

BTW, you said you use 100% scaling for both your external display and Surface? I believe SP3 with 100% scaling is only usable because you downgraded the resolution to 1680*1050, which gives larger texts than when under native resolution...125% Scaling under FHD resolution seems acceptable on my SP3, compromising the sharpness of display for larger texts on the screen.

10. scrambler

Yes, given my external monitor is 21.5", 100% is good for that resolution, depending on the size of your FHD I understand you may need more. The biggest issue is that I found that at anything else than 100%, the external monitor text is a bit fuzzy. I wonder if you can confirm that on yours.

By the way, Given I am using 100% scaling with two monitors, but 150% when using the tablet alone, I made a Script that automatically changes that (including the required logout) when it detects a change in number of monitors. You can find it explained here :
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/63249-sp3-multiple-monitors.html#post405219

The script is available for download at post #4 just below

Ultimately I am thinking of may be buying an WQHD 27" IPS hoping I could do away with switching scaling.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    lonaysta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.