Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone think the default DPI for touchpad is too low? And my custom mouse pointer speed settings get erased every time I plug my Logitech Unifying Receiver in....Annoying!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Those of you experiencing the IE issue, are you also running XTU Utility as well?..>>

...No.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last night, for some random reason, I had a look at the connectors underneath my Pro 3:

[​IMG]

The covering around the outer connectors had, somehow, stretched into the holes and I had to use nail cutters to remove them. Bit odd.

4. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

About 2 weeks ago my original surface pro died. Still in warranty so I was issued $1100 back in credit. I immediately used that to get the surface pro 3 i5 8gb 256gb model. I had that just under a week. Then the wifi adapter needing to be reset after waking from sleep, let to blue screen crash after waking from sleep. Contacting Microsoft a few times led to this crash happening 25% of the time, instead of 100%. So I just gave up and returned it.
    Instead of opting for another surface, I went with an Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. I7 4510u, 8gb ram, and 256 msata (which put in my 1tb Samsung evo msata). It was nice, having laptop first tablet second. But widescreen vs the new 3:2 and lack of pen were missed, but battery life I never got above 5 hours. Ever. Dealbreaker. So I went back and returned it.
    This time, I went back to the surface pro 3. Again i5 8gb ram and 256gb ssd. Wifi is less of an issue on this one. But….battery life and heat are just killing me. I’m averaging between 4-5 hours of battery. No matter what I do. Balanced power settings (only option), sync off, program settings all set to battery life, and screen at 35%. Wifi on, Blutooth on. Programs installed are extremely minimal right now, office, itunes, and hwinfo. All updates are 100%, and nothing runs in the background other than what im using.
    1 IE (either desktop or metro) open, about 4 ½ hours. No flash.
    Multiple IE tabs open, about 4 ½ hours. Almost no flash.
    Itunes music (local stored) and word, wifi on, about 4 hours.
    Itunes music (local stored) and word, wifi off, about 4 ½ hours.

Dealbreaker. This is 80% of why I want the surface and what I do on it.
    Amazon kindle desktop program, locally stored textbook, split on left half the screen/Miscrosoft One Note, locally stored notebooks, split on right half of screen.
    Battery: 4-4 ½ hours. Wifi on/wifi off.
    Also, the surface doesn’t run hot, but it runs a constant warm. Never to bad. But when im using it as a tablet and writing on it for over 30-45 min. The warm, ‘feels’ warm, then warmer, then warmer…..then uncomfortably warm and I must use a pillow or something which leads to even less accurate notes.
    This is both my left hand, which is holding the back comfortable so the tablet doesn’t move when writing. And my right hand, which has its palm rested on the screen while taking notes.

*Two huge things*
    Battery life is horrible, and heat is an issue.
    I haven’t seen anyone else complaining or posting what ive found. So I’m hoping that im just missing something? This has happened on both my surface pro 3 tablets, so I don’t think it’s an individual specific surface problem.
    Any thoughts? Comments? Things to try?

5. JimB

JimB Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the same sp3 as yours and have none of these problems.

6. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have any of those problems either. Battery life isn't really a "problem" as it is just a variable that's impossible to make into a constant across everybody's use cases.

Don't forget that the "up to 8 hours" or whatever is advertised is a best case scenario. That means everything is turned off and nothing is running in the background. Keeping iTunes open, having anything in IE in the background (a simple malicious Javascript call can keep a blank page running even though it looks blank), and playing music all drain from the battery. That said, I don't know by how much the battery drains.

All I know is that I get about 4.5 hours on a single charge as well. Some days I get 6, others I only get 3. It depends on what I am doing that day.

7. dblkk

dblkk Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I realize up to. But Microsoft says up to 9 hours. But sites like theverge, endgadget, anandtech, ect all do their web browing at 60% screen brightness ect, and they come up with 8 hours.

But I really need to get some decent battery. I'm either at work, at school, or on a family trip, and most of the time, its not charger friendly. As I use it as a tablet, and write notes or edit programs on the fly like this. Cant really do that while walking around and connected to a 4 foot charger cable.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

My guess would be the Kindle Desktop App is the culprit, it was never really optimized and has all but been abandoned. Have you tried any MUI eBook Reader Applications?

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is anyone here able to actually get 8 hours of battery whilst doing day to day work? I'm actually curious.

10. cstablet

cstablet Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having this sleep of death again right now... Very pissed. I was streaming video and fell in sleep. The video had likely finished and the device went to sleep, too XD. Now after I woke up, the famous charger head of course is not lit... I immediately knew that the device probably won't turn on and after a tap on the power button... IT WON'T TURN ON T_T

As mentioned several pages ago, I've encountered this issue twice before. This is the third time now. I'm hesitant to go into a MS store or use MS support now because they are take my tablet away and check it for days, when I have to use it daily to take notes and view slides for my class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.