Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romer

Romer Pen Pal - Newbie

just as a test case you should try the same thing with Firefox and see if you get the same result. Could be an explorer add on kicking in

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...just tried it on my SP3 as well and got the exact same result...>>

...I can also report that the same thing happens on IE as installed on the Pro 2. The processor hangs at ~35% utilization after closing the Craiglist tab.

It's clearly an IE issue...

3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I spoke too soon saying I have no WiFi issues. Just turned on my sp3 and the WiFi icon was gone, I had the hardwired Ethernet icon with a red x through it. Running network troubleshooting said I had no driver installed. Then I opened device manager and there was no WiFi network adapter!!! Nothing listed at all, not even something disabled or not working, weird. I rebooted and it all worked OK.

This is sort of happening on my vivotab also. I've also seen a variant of it on my other older clovertrail tablets. I'm still convinced that this is a software/driver issue, I've seen it on so many other tablets besides the SP series.

As for the Craigslist issue, I'll install and try it with Firefox a bit later.

4. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Just tried it on Firefox. Browsed Craigslist for 10 minutes--no fan, no excessive heat (a tad warm but not hot at all).Seems to be an ie11 problem. I would be content just using Firefox, but scrolling isn't very good, and there's not a Metro optimized version.

5. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think this problem is limited to just IE. I'm using my SP3 right now and the only apps I have open are 2 instances of Onenote and 2 PDFs. CPU usage is at 2% and ram is at 32%. Despite all of this, my fans are going 100% and the back right side is hot to the touch. Something pretty funny is that my i7 gaming rig ( with 2x 780s) is also on and the SP3 is just as loud (if not louder) than that PC.

6. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea there is a metro IE problem.. only recently started to happen but play video on crunchyroll on metro and in one min or so fan is max... do same in desktop and its fine..

Again this only started to happen in the last few weeks

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Question - Those of you experiencing the IE issue, are you also running XTU Utility as well?

8. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope not here

9. thetruth1983

thetruth1983 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not running XTU either.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Thanks..... other people who have used the utility are seeing odd behaviors as well. Trying to consolidate some of the commonalities of affected users...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.