Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SS35

SS35 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. So after reading all your SP3's problems I was happy to have none of them on my SP3 except for the battery loss problem. But unfortunately, my SP3 has run into one big problem that concerns me. My SP3 didn't turn on even with my charger plugged in for the past two days. It turned on randomly a few minutes ago even though I didn't even touch it (for the past two days I've been pressing the power button and it still wouldn't turn on). Anybody know the problem or how to fix it. By the way, This morning the SP3 was kind of hot for a reason I do not know.

2. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Might be stuck in between states, you may want to hold the power button down for a bit to completely shut it off then try to power on after a moment.

Alternatively your last line of defence is the two button shutdown detailed at the bottom here.:
    Microsoft Surface Pro won’t turn on | Surface Pro won’t turn on

3. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Fortunately, I have not experienced wifi issues. My unit is OK I guess. It is soon for battery reports but it is acceptable since it's its first charge cycles.

But after using TPT2 for more than a year , this thing is big and heavy for me. I'm not going to send back my SP3 because I know if my TPT2 was 1Kg and 12mm thick, SP3 would have been a dream. So everything comes at a price, BUT handling the SP3 is a different thing. It's difficult to turn it on or off, it is difficult to open up the kickstand. Those tasks don't happen fast. I am a big guy and I can get used to the size and the weight, but the feel of the device is just uncomfortable. I don't know maybe it gets better.

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It doesn't, it actually starts to grate on you after a bit. This is from the same perspective, coming from a TPT2. The SP3 is a pretty awesome laptop replacement to be used as an occasional tablet, but it's a poor tablet replacement IMO. I fought that sentiment for a long time before finally accepting it.

dceggert, gcoupe and soh5 like this.
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to admit that although the new kick-stand is quite nice I'm REALLY missing the click/click of the SP2 stand.

6. rwerksman

rwerksman Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately some do not. An example is iHeartRadio ceasing to play immediately when in CS after the playing song completes.

7. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

so far I've counted 3 problems likely won't be fixed (through software updates):
    • cpu throttling
    • camera out of focus
    • loosen sd card

some likely will be fixed through software updates (including 3rd party updates):
    • battery drain during connected standby
    • slow/unstable wifi connection
    • bluetooth device disconnection
    • pen lagging

some can be resolved by exchanging the product:
    • uneven kickstand/warped chassis.
    • debris under the screen.
    • dead pixels.

for some, there may be deal breakers, totally understandable.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    alextrela182 and Hodeis like this.
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Sounds like they didn't use the appropriate WinRT API for their app....

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

• I'd assume that the CPU/GPU control improves through some firmware-bios update.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I have to believe this is right. I think, for me, if they don't fix it tomorrow, I'm going to disable CS altogether, turn off power saving for the network card, and if that fails, hibernate when I'm going to be away from outlet for more than an hour (maybe I can set that in an advanced power setting profile if I can just get id of CS?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.