Surface Pro 3 - The problems thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by MSGaldenzi, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Jimothy and others, pardon me if I'm being dense, but when I want to shut down any Windows tablet, I don't rely on the button. I just use the Power Charm under Settings and choose Shut Down. I believe this resolves any confusion over the state the machine is in when I need to pack it in my briefcase. And the startup delay is only a couple of seconds at most.

So I've trained myself to assume the physical button puts the tablet into a low power sleep mode, ready to awaken instantly and subject to battery drain or being awoken by network activity.

I'll admit I haven't analyzed my battery drain very closely, so am I mistaken to make this distinction?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...am I mistaken to make this distinction?..>>

...You are correct (assuming that you haven't reassigned the function of your power button).

3. surfaceproartist

So what's the problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  4. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think it should turn itself on unless you have a cover that is lose and triggers the device on. I hear the keyboard covers for example do this, due to no good upper magnets holding it in place. (Assumingly they didn't place any up there due to what hardware is under the top.)

Microsoft should have just given up on the fancy effects of auto-on and let us all have a reliable device which required us to press the on switch like so many other machines.

5. surfaceproartist

But it's a tablet. Every tablet from Apple to Android behaves the same way. To fully power it down you need to take an additional action (usually a lengthy hold and a screen swipe to accept the shut down). Otherwise, the device remains online, downloading updates and notifications in the background until you wake it.

6. Jimothy

Jimothy Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps I haven't effectively explained what the problem is. When I touch the hard key at the top of the device, which is set to put the computer to sleep, the computer goes to sleep, but then wakes itself up. This is problematic, mainly because if I'm merely looking to put my computer to sleep for a short period of time, say for 30 mins in between lectures, and I throw the computer in my bag, my computer (and the rest of the contents of my bag) are extremely hot, perhaps even dangerously hot. Now, of course this problem can arise if, for example, something accidentally hits the hard key on top of the device, or if you have the type cover set to wake the device, but neither of these triggers is causing my device to wake.

I understand from this thread that many users are worried about battery drain. I, however, have no such worry, yet. I simply want to be able to put my computer to sleep without having it wake up on its own, or turn off completely after some lengthy period (say 5ish hours), though I'm less concerned about this latter issue. And I'm also accustomed to using the Charms bar to power off my computer, but I see no reason why I should have to do this when I'm merely looking to deactivate my computer for a short period of time. Indeed, Microsoft seems to have let me do just what I want with every other iteration of the Surface Pro; so, why not this one?

If I'm missing something here, let me know. Is there perhaps a background process that's waking my computer up? I have nothing paired to it but the ntrig pen, and the problem occurs both with the type cover attached and without it attached. I'm at my wits end. Love the device, but don't feel that this is an issue I should have to comprise on.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Are you certain that nothing is hitting the on button in the bag, because my initial reaction was that something in the bag or from outside the bag just happens to touch the device exactly where the button is.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

8. surfaceproartist

@Jimothy, thanks for clarifying. If it isn't a background process that's causing it to wake, it must be a bug. Have you tried to turn off the wifi before putting it to sleep? It would be interesting to see if some network activity might be waking it.

In the Balanced Power Profile Advanced Settings, there are different power saving modes for the wireless adapter. Unfortunately, they're not very explicit: max performance, low power saving, medium power saving and maximum power saving. Mine is set to Medium while on Battery. Maybe crank it to Max Power Saving, which I would guess shuts it off during sleep?

9. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah the covers are often the main culprit but you say it occurs with both. Keep in mind the surface pen can now wake the device as well so is that getting thrown in your bag as well?

I would disable wifi and perhaps keep the pen out of the bag and see how you go. If that still doesn't work put the device into the hibernate state and see if that is waking it up, if it is still waking it up in that state then something in your bag is hitting the button or you have a process that is stopping your devices getting to sleep and getting into hibernate so of course they are going to be wide awake in your bag.

It is also possible its not just one cause, eg removing the type covers doesn't fix it because wifi is keeping it awake and vice versa for example..

Failing that....ghosts.

10. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

My sp2 would ghost wake like you describe... I've not noticed it with sp3 yet. Drains happen sometimes in standby but without turning screen on. I did disable the sleep when cover is closed option, which supposedly also disables the wake on cover open option...I have no need of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.