Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
    Plannin' and dreamin' each night of its charms
    That won't get you into an Arm

So if you're lookin' to find RT you can share
    All you gotta do is
    Hold it and kiss it and love it
    And show it that you care

Show it that you care just for it
    Do the things the way it makes you do
    Limit life just for it, 'cause
    You won't get it
    Thinkin' and a-prayin'
    Wishin' and hopin'

Just wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
    Plannin' and dreamin', SPro is the start
    That won't get you into RT's heart

So if you're thinkin' how great RT is
    All you gotta do is
    Hold it and kiss it and squeeze it and love it
    Yeah, just do things its way and after you do, it will be yours

DEEPEST apologies to Dusty Springfield and Dionne Warwick

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    jnjroach, revmike, zendragon and 2 others like this.
  2. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can someone explain microsoft new active stylus technology to me?

I thought wacom only worked up to 13.3 devices?

Doesn' the surface line use wacom?

I kind of would like to see a slim long battery 15 inch laptop w/ active stylus one day. No1 else does it seems... O.O

I really like dis power cover idea because everyone is ditching replaceable batteries. But it looks like this detachable power idea we see with power jacket and power cover is only for 10 inch tablets. Never see it for an 8 inch ,never see it for a laptop.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Although not exactly the same HP, as well as Lenovo/Dell, have had removable slice type batteries for a long time. Heck.. for the Elitebook 8470p there's 5 different batteries and if you combine the top two together (Slice and extended battery) you have over 17+ (max 32) hours of battery life. I should know as I tested them and gave up after 17 hours.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OT: Sorry! 8470p. You MUST buy the 1900x600 screen version as the 1366x768 is pretty poor. (Hint: You can buy the i5 version and then, from ebay, purchase a cheap Quad core cpu! That's what I did)
    Here's the maintenance manual
    Manuals for HP EliteBook 8470p Notebook PC - HP Support Center

Oppss sorry guys. Back to the Surface Pro 3... .

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Surface Pro devices use Wacom currently, Microsoft Research has been working on Active Stylus Input for over a decade here are a few of their on going projects:

In-Place: Interacting with Large Displays - Microsoft Research
    Recognizing Pen Grips for Natural User Interaction - Microsoft Research
    Mobile Surface - Microsoft Research
    Hands-On Computing - Microsoft Research

Has far has replaceable batteries are concerned, for a battery to be user replaceable it has to be hardened and encased, this increases cost and adds weight and thickness to the device, consumers and the Consumerization of IT (the use of consumer or consumer like devices in a Business or Corporate Environment often not owned by the business entity) has put the preference for design to enclosed systems without user replaceable batteries and except for niche products I don't see it returning until there is the next revolution in battery technology.

Large form factor tablets have been released in the past (14 and 15") they sold fewer units of those than the 12" and below...

From an IDC Study showing Screen Sizes since 2011 (we're seeing 8" the preferred size for tablets and 4" for Smartphones:

tablet by screen size.JPG

phones by screen size.JPG

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

WPcentral has some details.

The Surface Pro 3 gets real as some specs and pricing are revealed | Windows Phone Central

Personally, I still think it's a mistake to replace the Pro 2 with a larger Pro 3. It makes far more sense with me as a supplement to the already available device. Still, what do I know? :D

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

At times it seems like everything.

And in this case... I agree with you. Maybe it isn't a Surface Pro 3 and it is a new line. Maybe they don't have a name for it and just have specs or some other information so they (the bloggers) are just calling it that since they don't know what else to call it.

Do you happen to know if there is any real information that the "Surface Mini" will really go by that name?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

So basically, it's the i5 model like now, and too pricey for most people to afford, and overpriced (unless a dedicated GPU is inside). And much slower 64GB model than now.

Assuming these rumor are true. I doubt they would drop the current Surface Pro size. I think this will be a new series.
    So we would have mini, normal and large.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wonder how applicable the tablet numbers are to a productivity focused device like the Surface Pro. Most tablets sold are iOS or Android and their intended purpose is consumption for the most part. A potential Surface Pro buyer is more likely looking for something very different from what the large number of iPad buyers influencing those statistics are looking for. That doesn't (in itself) necessarily mean that Surface Pro buyers want something statistically different in terms of screen size, but I don't think these numbers contradict the possibility that they want a different screen size either.