Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 27, 2013.

1. javispedro

javispedro Pen Pal - Newbie

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

If anything, some 15W Core i7 model, which will be marginally faster as now, but with HD 5000 graphics. In other words, most likely, the same performance as the current 4300U model with a slightly faster Intel graphics.
    But what it will have is 1080p cameras, and wireless A/C.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe a redesigned chassis or something too, who knows.

Personally though, unlike from the 1 to 2, where the battery was an annoyance from time to time, I'm just not feeling any reason I would want to upgrade to a Surface Pro 3 (at the very least not this year, before Broadwell). I'm sure at some point the gadget lust will take over, but I'm still really happy with what I have now (though I do feel the kickstand loosening over time - more so than the Pro 1 with its single step kickstand, but that's just a nitpick at this point :D).

4. GoodBytes

You don't want to upgrade, because the performance increase and any other benefits, aren't worthy for a current SP2 user.
    A better battery, would provide at most 30min more. I doubt that will happen. if they make it thinner with Haswell, it will be the Y series CPU, so that means slower. So, that won't happen.

dstrauss and javispedro like this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Surface Pro 2 and the Surface 2 out. Surface Pro 3 and mini in? Microsoft Surface Pro 3 on the way (along with Surface mini) - Liliputing If they put a Y series Haswell CPU in a thinner, fanless body of a SP3 (S2 size?) and increase battery life significantly, it would be a worthy successor. Odd timing for a CPU swap. Maybe MS knows something we don't about Broadwell or is the SP3 ready to upgrade to Broadwell with no further alterations?

6. GoodBytes

The Surface mini was talked about and eas expected to be revealed at the announcement of the Surface 2/Pro 2.
    I doubt the SP3 will be announced. If anything it will be in October, which means with Windows 9. But, Intel delayed Broadwell, and Haswell-E is nothing special, not really a speed boost, no battery life advantage, so we will see.
    The only thing I expect is them to upgrade the SP2 to Haswell-E, much like the Apple updated the MacBook Air. It got a 100MHz upgrade.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well of course. What I meant is more that when I had the Pro 1, there were nagging concerns at the edges, mostly regarding battery life (and I hated the clickpad that the original Type Covers had). With the Pro 2, I just don't have any of those.

8. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

If that's the case, I'd rather get a Surface Pro 2. Intel's HD 4200 graphics are only slightly stronger than the HD 4400 that the Pro 2 carries.

Maybe they could call it the Surface 3L?

I'm rolling dice on an IGZO or LTPS screen transition though.

9. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. javispedro

javispedro Pen Pal - Newbie

HD4200 is slightly weaker, not stronger.