Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Broadwell was supposed to hit at the end of this year, but they had delays, and Intel really hasn't given any word on when it'd be ready. For now they're just shipping a Haswell refresh that increases clock speed but doesn't change any thermal properties.

3. bkydcmpr

Haswell ULX (Y series) has been there for about a year, the rumors say it's the processor used in the new Surface Pro to be announced next week (Microsoft May Release a Fanless Surface Pro 2), which has lower TDP and SDP than ULT used in Surface Pro 2.

Now I'm just hoping it's on the 13" side (and likely).

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    mancinist likes this.
  4. javispedro

javispedro Pen Pal - Newbie

Haskell ulx is in fact already in the dell venue 11 pro, where it has been classified as underwhelming, and certainly not fanless despite the 6w SDP.

5. bkydcmpr

I'll bet my money on i5-4302Y with 4.5w SDP (ARK | Intel® Core™ i5-4302Y Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)). The timing perfectly repeats the release of the first generation Surface Pro, when Microsoft had to use the marginally acceptable Ivy Bridge and Haswell was half a year ahead. Since more room will be the key for bigger battery and better heat dissipation, I think the size of the to be announced Surface Pro is around 12.5". For the people waiting for Broadwell version, we would be able to see the design language of the next iteration, just like Surface Pro 2 vs Surface Pro.

6. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

7. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. I really want a 16:10 aspect ratio. The upcoming think pad tablet 10 is drawing my interest because of this. 1900x1200

8. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love so see a 12" 4:3, actually I have one; a Thinkpad X61T, perfect tablet with Wacom pen but 1.5kg and about 30 seconds battery life. Waiting for a proper substitute. I think a 12 inch tablet (non 16:9) with keyboard dock could be a perfect substitute for a notebook.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

4:3 means that many Windows 8 features will be disabled, as they depend on wide screen display, and it can't be adapted, so dont' have your hopes up for Windows 9.

16:10 is what you want, as it is "4:3 extended".
    Example: 1600x1200 -> 1920x1200. Same height, more width.
    Of course, its not direct relation with resolution of the 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:10, that is why I put it in quotes. But the idea of 16:10 aspect ratio was that, we take what we have (4:3) and make it wide and better. It was said that 16:10 is the "golden ratio", as it was optimal viewing experience (more details: Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Despite 16:10 being hugely successful in the computer monitor space, Sony with it's HDMI pushed for a movie aspect ratio 16:9, made panel smaller, and cheaper, mixed with smart marketing "Full HD", made consumer get 16:9 monitors instead, with the promise of "no more black bars", even thought most movies were not and still aren't filmed in 16:9. And many Blu-Ray format are other aspect ratios zoomed and cut to 16:9. The reason why you have different aspect ratio in movies, is for theater form factors, but also art style by the director (example: he/she wants to show more of the scenery, or not)

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  10. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Note the mention of a "Surface Pro 3" here: Add recording support H264 for modern communication apps in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2

I'm thinking it's a typo rather than an accidental leak, because I can't imagine MS releasing a new SP without a new processor. But, I could be wrong...

Edit: MS has edited the report page to remove the mention of "Surface Pro 3." Someone was good enough to post a screenshot at imgur: http://i.imgur.com/WcPxKjs.png

WinBeta is reporting that they contacted MS and were told it was just a typo: http://www.winbeta.org/news/surface...d-microsoft-could-join-surface-mini-next-week

Last edited: May 14, 2014