Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm going to climb down off my high horse a bit - mostly because I really do like my Surface Pro 2. Here's hoping saner minds here are right and that there will be additional Surface developments (a Surface 2 dimension Broadwell with Wacom would be nice). I'm mostly hoping because as I said over in the Asus forum there are only a very limited number of enterprise quality devices still, and this is the best of the lot.

2. Stubbazubba

Stubbazubba Pen Pal - Newbie

No. I've seen multiple analysts saying that MS either will do this or should do this, but I don't buy it. As GoodBytes pointed out, they want MS to do this because it'll mean an uptick in the stock price. That's all well and good for a quarter, but it would be a shot in the foot long-term, and everyone at MS knows it.

1. There's the "reference product" argument that the Surface is used to set the standard more than as a revenue stream, but even more than that...
    2. Surface is rising; it might take another year or two, but if the uptake in adoption rates remains steady or even increases as the user-base, and therefore word of mouth, increases, then I can definitely see Surface finally catching a stride in 2015-2016.
    They do face one more hurdle now which is that Office for iPad is out, but that just means they have to sell everything else that makes it great for productivity, like true multitasking, file manager, full-featured browser, and the best pen input available. Putting the Wacom digitizer on the non-Pro model would be a good move, because students are a great market for devices like Surface and the digitizer along with OneNote for a student is a perfect school tool.

No, it's actually perfectly normal for companies to not talk about a new product 6 months before it's released, or at all before it's released. There may be some vague leaks (which we have, see earlier in this thread), but certainly nothing concrete until production really ramps up. And I wouldn't expect to hear anything official at all until the full reveal, which I imagine will coincide with the release of 8.1 Update 2 featuring the return of the Start Menu and windowed Store apps that were teased at BUILD.

mancinist likes this.
  3. mancinist

mancinist Pen Pal - Newbie

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

No it won't.
    These specs are false. With 25W consuming CPU, you'll have nothing as a battery life. Already the 15W Haswell CPU currently inside is borderline acceptable battery life for a mobile computer.
    13inch, will make it a monstrosity. The main achievement of the device was fitting so much power under 11inch, and be the perfect size for a full size key keyboard, making it easy to type, something that netbook manufactures failed to deliver.
    1TB of storage.... that means HDD. That means that the Surface Pro 3 suggested, will be SLOWER by considerable margin to the Pro 2. Even if they get those fancy SSD's that can reach such capacity, assuming in a perfect world Microsoft would put that, and could get them for cheap, not only they are still slower by a considerable amount to the current SSD in the Pro 2, but also have very limited writes, as they are using the cheapest nand chip money can buy. It's 1 hair of being the same chips as USB3 flash drives.

As for the resolution, it will make high DPI problem MUCH but I mean MUCH worse than now. Right now, at least you can use the system at 100% DPI with it's small form factor, allowing you to enjoy non-high-DPI aware applications on the desktop.
    The only higher resolution that the Surface Pro can support with the current state of application support of high-DPI is 4K, as you can lower the resolution or use 200% DPI, which will make 4 pixels = 1 pixel, as 4K is (well what is at the consumer level, and seams like the definition of 4K standardizing too), 4x 1080p.

The implementation of HDMI 1.4 is retarded. Why? Because DisplayPort is backward compatible to HDMI, with a small and inexpensive adapter. In addition, why would anyone use the greatly problematic, and inferior HDMI on the computer space is beyond me. DisplayPort consumes much less power, can achieve higher resolutions, supports more plug-in's and out's, more solid connector, plug and play literary no fighting with over scan, under scan, update drivers, change cable, and what not to get the damn thing working, and everything is cheaper: cables, and connectors due to the lack of ludicrously high royalty fees (newer the revision of HDMI, the higher the fee, that is why they are still monitors using HDMI 1.3 despite being newly released)

As for Iris Pro, the performance isn't that much greater, although welcomed, the main problem with Intel is their drivers, and lack of FULL support of OpenGL and DirectX, not to mention OpenCL and DirectComputer (I want to say CUDA, but that is Nvidia exclusive).

The Surface Pro line is a flagship product, at least in its current state. It's a bunch of highly knowledgeable engineers and great passion that made a device that is simply unmatched by even computer manufactures that have years of experience and knowledge, where it seams to it driven by marketing instead: "People need to see HDMI sticker on the box... we must put HDMI!", versus "DisplayPort is the future and it is clearly a far superior connector, which will provide to the consumer a far better experience and abilities such as daisy chaining, and now with the new version, dock-ability. We need to put that, the consumer will enjoy it when they give it a chance. And if they really want HDMI, they can use an adapter, heck we will make even one for some official one with a look that matches the device". Different mentality set, one that I enjoy far more.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think the real action will be the expansion of the Surface line, not the SPro 3 upgrade this time. It would be great to see a sub4 pound 15" ultrabook competitor to the MacBook Pro 15 - just think how much battery and hardware goodies they could stuff into that form factor.

Still, an SPro 3, with SPro 2 guts in a Surface 2 body, with the new USB universal port...hmmmmmm...I hear the upgrade drumbeat...

bloodycape, cookies4you and mancinist like this.
  6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can you explain universal USB port? I thought that usb was universal serial bus and already had the word universal in it.

What is a universal usb port? A usb port that can take in thunderbolt or something?

Is the SP3 going to... blow the fuji q584 out of the water?

BTW why did you not get the Fuji q584? I thought it was everything that you wanted, Sir Dstrauss

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Because white plastic looks crappy as hell. Nuff' Said

spinedoc77 likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If Microsoft made a 13", Wacom, IPS convertible or slate many artists already incorporating the tiny 10" screen into their workflow would jump on that bandwagon. A Wacom Companion/T904 at half the price?

I would love to see a 13" version of the Surface Pro aimed at creative professionals/anyone else who needs more screen real estate. If they threw in a nice energy efficient Nvidia dedicated GPU I wouldn't complain about the loss in battery life.

I really hate how battery life trumps all other specs in reviews. I would so rather have a 5 hour device that is powerful and productive than a 8+ hour device that is under-powered. I realize most people don't need more power but it annoys those of us who do.

surfaceproartist and mancinist like this.
  9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not interesting at all with that rumors about SP3
    Only when the Broadwell CPU released then maybe thinking to replace my existing SP2 for the past 5 months using it, I'm very pleased.
    One thing is sure I want 16:10 aspect ratio and not 16:9 plus 2 USB 3.1 port, lighter and little bit bigger screen 11.6 would be very welcomed.

Not interesting more than 11.6" screen and if manage to be that light like Vaio Tap 11 would be the perfect scenario.

If I wanted 13.3 inches panel I would have get an ultrabook for that case.
    13.3 inches is to big and much much less comfortable for tablet mode.

10. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Pen Pal - Newbie

Heh, I agree with your points. I would prefer a 16:10 screen to be usable in both landscape and portrait. Even 10-11" is fine if they changed the aspect ratio. Lighter but a go od build quality would be welcome and keeping the Wacom support.

I'm jumping back and forth between wanting a 13" ultra book or a tablet first ultra book surface.