Surface Pro 3 Rumors

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 27, 2013.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I ran across the following article on The Examiner:

Surface Pro 3 is coming - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

It claims there will be a first quarter 2014 announcement, including: "...It will have a 10.6-inch screen with a 2,560 x 1600 (300ppi) pixel resolution display and a choice of an i5 or i7 processor that produces even better battery life than the Surface Pro 2. Most importantly, the device will only weigh 1.5 pounds--not perfect, but much more manageable than the current Surface Pro 2."

You folks seeing anything out there on this? Sounds like a Surface 2 case with upgraded Core innards...

2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member

What it sounds like is that I'm going to have a very hard time not upgrading to the SP3 next year if that rumor is correct. I was hoping to hold out until the SP4 and get a couple years, at least, out of my SP2. :p

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It really may not be that hard to resist. 1920x1080 on the 10.6" screen is already straining my eyeballs - can't imagine what 2560x1600 would do, particularly to the legacy desktop unless they do a MAJOR overhaul to scaling on the desktop (which is needed anyway, so you can bet they won't do it). Will losing 1/2# really going to make that much difference?

My bet is that the Surface Mini may be the sleeper hit of 2014 if it includes Wacom. It must be pretty compelling if they were willing to holod it back from Xmas 2013 to not steal sales for the newer "2" models.

Now, if the SPro 3 manages to tuck the stylus INSIDE the device, then I will be tempted (again)...maybe I should return this SPro 2 while I still can...

Oh, I can hear the collective groan in the Tablet PC Review universe already...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

Until desktop programs (at least the big ones) are updated to be high DPI friendly, I am not too exited with the resolution to be honest. But, if in a year time we have the popular programs high DPI friendly, then yea, it would be cool.

That aside, as a wish list, I would love to see at least an entry level Nvidia or AMD GPU inside. They are far more power efficient than before. Seeing the Nvidia Tegra 5 with Kepler architecture, makes me wonder why a dedicated GPU version could not be done with this, and use it. Nvidia does have Nvidia Optimus which switch the graphic card off when not in use (uses Intel GPU). Both technologies together would be insane.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member

I will steer clear of anything higher resolution than 1920x1080 until the desktop is gone for good, Microsoft has reimagined its UI scaling or Adobe and Autodesk totally revamp their software. Not very likely in 2014.

6. GoodBytes

nah dude.
    If you check out Office 2013, Visual Studio 2013, Windows Vista and up, even Firefox (except in some areas that still needs work) they look gorgeous at high DPI settings. So it's possible. It's just a question of having developers spend a bit of time to test their software with high DPI, 'cause right now, they don't even check.

Software companies don't need to rework the entire software to make it high DPI friendly, just the GUI part. A software can be seen as layers. Where you have a set of function, which are action or things a program can do, then you have a controller layer above that applies there function to do stuff, then you have the GUI on top, which allows you to execute these functions. Its more complicated than that in reality, but just a super brief overview.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member

What does nha mean?

8. GoodBytes

A typo of "nah". Corrected.
    Urban Dictionary: nah
    A friendly or different way of saying "Not really", or "No".

I didn't want to sound aggressive with "no", so "nah" was used.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Isn't it a bit early to be talking about the SP3? Then again better battery life, and lighter, doesn't hurt but for some reason I get the feeling this is atom based on not icore.

10. soh5

soh5 Thinkpad or Bust

Well this makes my decision to return my sp2 easy. I will wait to buy anything now until ces,is over at least.

I returned my tpy. The matte finish made it really hard to read since everything was much darker. Ugh I have to suffer with my damn macbook 08 again.

11. GoodBytes

You do raise a good point. But the rumor is nothing really exciting about (not to say it's not exciting at all). I mean it is the obvious step forward.

It won't be Atom. Intel is not really focusing on providing higher performance, but rather power efficiency. This is something that all processor manufactures (for computers, of course) are focusing on. Now of course it will be faster, but not by much.. at least it's not a main goal. I mean if they have a brilliant idea, they have a brilliant idea to make that happened. But it the focus is on reduce power. The days of the Pentium 4, where it was just pushing every drop of performance they can, without caring about heat, efficiency, or quietness, area is gone. People are going mobile, people seek for quiet/silent desktop PCs, companies seek in reducing their electric bills for their servers and computers, and all that pushes the industry in focusing on power efficiency. So I doubt it will be an Atom. It will be a Core i model, that is about 10% faster (my prediction) in real world performance (I don't care about benchmarks), and faster GPU.. maybe Intel Iris like performance, more power efficient, integrated in the CPU, but that's about it.

For those who don't know, Intel Iris (HD 5000 series), has the performance (faster CPU, with the highest end GPU model: 5200), performance that sit in between the GeForce 640M and 650M. More info and benchmark: AnandTech | Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics Review: Core i7-4950HQ Tested

While good, (assuming my prediction is true) that will be not so good news a year from now. But it sure beats nothing, or the same performance.

12. soh5

soh5 Thinkpad or Bust

Iris Pro graphics would have been awesome in the Surface line up. They're in the macbook pro 13/15s and I do not notice any extraneous heat from them. The Macbook Air line is using the HD 5000 Iris graphics and they're just as cool as well with out the compromise of the battery. If microsoft can hyper optimize their software for the surface like apple does it could be a possibility to get better battery life. First and foremost the mobile pc/tablet market needs longevity addressed before thinking about extra horse power in gfx, while the surface has good battery life I think it could do better.

13. GoodBytes

Mac's can afford Iris as they have room for larger batteries, and room for better cooling.
    Optimizing an OS is not easy as it sounds. It's extremely complicated, and very time consuming. But Microsoft is at work with it. They have done an amazing job in Windows 7, and continued effort with 8 and now 8.1. For sure it will continue.

14. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

The only reason why I'd see the need for a 2560 x 1440 panel is the fact that you can set the DPI to 200% and keep a clean base resolution of 1280 x 720.

Unless it happens to be an IGZO or (preferably) LTPS panel, I see no reason for Microsoft to increase the resolution, as it would only hurt the battery life.

What I'm really looking for is a display with >90% sRGB coverage, at least a 20-30% improvement in GPU performance, a weight reduction matching the RT, and Thunderbolt 2/3 support.

If Microsoft can switch from IPS technology onto something better, they can easily net a few extra hours of battery life without resorting to using Broadwell's Y-series processors.

Thickness isn't an issue at this point, and having adequate cooling is better than not.

15. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Vaio Duo 13 also has an Iris option, and I am told that's a pretty cool device.

16. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly, I just don't see the article as plausible other than pure guesswork. I mean, for one, what are the odds that the Examiner is going to beat out all the tech sites out there with regards to this sort of thing? It sounds like someone saying "Oh, a higher resolution screen on a Surface would be really cool" and the rumor starting from there. Secondly, we've seen from last year that Microsoft seems to be trying to announce devices closer to when they launch. I don't see a Pro 3 until the end of the year. Among other reasons, if they want to make it thinner and lighter and yet more battery life like the article speculates, the only really good way to do that is the next generation of processors anyway, so that would be the soonest the silicon for that would be available.

Though personally, if we were getting an exorbitant resolution to use with 200% scaling, I'd rather 3200x1800. I'd just much rather personally have a 1600x900 effective resolution to deal with on the desktop, rather than 720p (same reason I change the scaling on my Pro from 150% to 125%). I know it makes things smaller with a 10.6" screen, but I find that desktop programs often get too constrained with 720 or 768 vertical pixels.

I think maybe we'll see an 8" tablet sooner (though admittedly, I thought we'd see one of those announced for last October with the release of 8.1") but I doubt Microsoft will even hint at anything 10" or larger until next fall.

17. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...I doubt Microsoft will even hint at anything 10" or larger until next fall...>>

+1

In addition to the good points already made, I think that one also has to consider the product cycle. It takes time to develop a product, line up the suppliers (plus dealing with component shortages), manufacture and then distribute it. Even a Microsoft probably can't make this happen in less than several months. And even if they could, they'd still need to pay attention to the buying seasons; there's a reason that Microsoft seems to have latched onto the fourth-quarter-ish timeframe for their recent introductions.

Finally, they also have to be mindful of buyer fatigue. Issuing expensive new models of various products at less than approximately a year's interval isn't going to endear them with their customer base. True, they did this between Surface and Surface 2, but I think that they were trying to fix some important issues of perception (versus reality) about the products and in the future they will be more measured.

It's always fun to speculate, but I think one also has to be realistic. Issuing a new hardware update to Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 in much less than a year seems a little too soon...

18. RZetlin

RZetlin Scribbler - Standard Member

The Surface Pro 2 was released in less than 4 months ago. I cannot see the Surface Pro 3 released so soon for CES (which runs in January 7th, 2014). It would be suicide for Microsoft.

My prediction for CES would be:
    - 8 inch Surface Pro Tablet
    - Surface Pro 2 Lite (A Sub $500 tablet, running atom processor, 2 or 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB hard drive)

19. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

Reading pdfs on a high resolution screen is incredibly good. As I age this is important.

ptrkhh likes this.
  20. Tor

Tor Pen Pal - Newbie

The only thing it really needs IMO is adopting the 16:10 ratio, 1920 x 1200. keeping the same horizontal would translate to an increase screen with a much more comfortable working area.
    They can use the extra space to tuck the stylus and increase battery.