Surface Pro 3: reasons not to upgrade from an SP2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Seems wasteful and expensive for Microsoft, must be more efficient to include three or four nibs in the package. Postage has to cost more, me thinks someone got caught with their pants down and Panos had to save his bony ass.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This has been a mixed bag... some OEMs include replacement Nibs with their machines other haven't, Microsoft hasn't with any of their releases.

3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, be careful with that single nib you get... I just dropped $50 for a new pen because I lost my nib last night and there aren't any current solutions.... nobody sells the nibs or even has any to give me. I've got bags of extra Wacom nibs that aren't compatible.

4. jsmith

jsmith Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly our team wouldn't have gotten the SP3 if we didn't need more computers. I think the SP2 would be fine and wait until new SP with the new Intel chips comes out. Hopefully 6 months will have a lot more options available in this form factor. Just the same as we didn't want the SP1 with the poor battery life, but needed more machines so it was the best available at the time.

5. tallshorty

tallshorty Pen Pal - Newbie

I cracked :( ....I only just bought the Surface Pro 2 last November but couldn't...resist....picked up the Surface Pro 3 256GB and Complete bundle yesterday. Damn my wallet is hurting

....not to start try to sell my SP2

6. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Could have gone to Best Buy and traded in your SP2 (i5 128 GB). If it's in good condition, they would have given you $380 and a $50 Best Buy card that you could have used towards the type cover. That's not a horrible deal.

7. be77solo

New reason not to upgrade:
    If you do anything remotely CPU/GPU intensive the SP3 throttles the speeds very aggressively, thus resulting in a noticeably slower machine than the SP2.

This would include anything from hardware accelerated graphics work to encoding or number crunching to basic gaming.

Basic office activities are not affected.

8. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Fair summary. Although this thread started as a half joke, I might as well update it to include this issue.

9. be77solo

Unfortunately it's the reason the SP3's going back.... on the flip side you gave me a list of other fun reasons to remain excited about my SP2 ;)

10. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Now that I have both Surface Pro 3 and my old Surface Pro 2 in hand, I can draw some real comparisons and frankly it doesn't look too good for Surface Pro 3.

Surface Pro 2 is:
    1) unequivocally brighter,
    2) a tinge louder (and fuller, even though Pro 3 has front-facing speakers),
    3) more portable (can be palmed, can more easily be used on airplane trays as the screen is not that high),
    4) has better greyscale accuracy (pro 3 has greenish whites),
    5) has longer battery life (by atleast an hour),
    6) has more stable wi-fi (no wifi connectivity issues as in Pro 3),
    7) has Wacom which is without doubt a much better experiencer than N-trig (to get the same line thickness as Pro 2, the pressure required on Pro 3 distorts and creates ripples on the LCD underneath, plus the Pro 3 N-trig pen requires two sets of batteries, has no place to stow the pen on the tablet, and has hover lag to boot).

The only places where Pro 3 bests Pro 2 is the infinitely adjustable kickstand, a lighter build (which in my opinion is negated by the lack of palmability), and larger screen (a mixed blessing as this sacrifices portability in some situations).
    I am this close to returning the Surface Pro 3 but want to give it a fair shake.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    be77solo and mdbulldog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.