Surface Pro 3 problem with external DVD drive

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by scrambler, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've been using the default Windows burning software/module and it works just fine. I just had to ensure that I had the power-only side of the Y-cable plugged into the AC adapter.

Without the power plug, the drive loses power every 5-6 seconds then gets power again. I'm assuming that the USB power on the SP3 provides less than 850mA, because my drive claims that it requires 850 mA to operate.

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting you say that. When I connected my external drive with a single USB cable, I did not get any error message, it just would not work.
    When I first plugged in my powered USB Hub and plugged my drive into it, I got your error message about power surge on USB port. After a few tries, I unplugged the hub from the tablet, plugged in the drive in the Hub and in the power supply, then plugged everything in the Tablet and it worked.

So try different sequence as it may work in the end.

3. AndyME

AndyME Pen Pal - Newbie

4. vancamp

vancamp Pen Pal - Newbie

I used a y cable and an external backup battery (eachine ultra-slim 7000mAh) and Pioneer BDR-XU03 to watch a Blu-ray movie last night. Completely portable... no wall power. However, it did take the extra battery juice to get the drive to be stable.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

5. cbroughton

cbroughton Pen Pal - Newbie

6. Nepheler

Nepheler Pen Pal - Newbie

Using external disc drive to play DVD on surface can be tad obtuse. I'd rather rip my DVD collections together with Blu-rays. Try some dvd ripping tools and you'll no longer need the external drives. I'm using free DVDAid, the free version may not do a very decent job but enough for me.

7. jolinzhu520

jolinzhu520 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. jolinzhu520

jolinzhu520 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would appreciate if you can provide the following Information to help us understand the issue better.

1. Does the external DVD player has separate power supply?

2. Have you checked if the issue persist while the Surface Pro 2 is plugged into an AC Source?

Since the Surface Pro 2 is initially not designed to run DVD player and burn CDs, the external DVD drives connected through USB do not get sufficient power supply through ports to perform those tasks.

DVD players usually read discs at a constant linear rate. The disc's rotational speed varies from 25.5 Hz (1530 RPM) when reading at the innermost edge, to 10.5 Hz (630 RPM) at the outer edge.

If the DVD player does not get sufficient power supply to make the required RPM (Revolutions per Second) it can’t read the disc or if reads the disc can’t perform other related tasks.

9. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

As I explained earlier, this was eventually solved by using a powered HUB

10. Davidjk58

Davidjk58 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.