Surface Pro 3 problem with external DVD drive

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by scrambler, Jul 10, 2014.

1. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I am having a strange issue with my new Surface Pro 3 and an external DVD drive.

The external DVD drive is the Samsung SE-218CB/RSBS

It works fine on another laptop with windows 8.1

When I connect it to the SP3 it appears properly in the Device manager and in the This PC window

When I insert a DVD inside, it will come up and I can see the content, but when I try accessing a file, it will start then get into a loop where the drive disappears, comes back, It keeps making the ding dong of windows 8 and trying to run/access the data but without success.

If the file I access is very small like a notepad file it works. Anything more substantial (image, video, install program...) gets into that failing loop.

Looking in the event viewer it says An error was detected on device \Device\CdRomn during a paging operation

I have tried uninstalling the device from device manager and rediscovering it, but without any difference.

If I plug a USB stick with data on the same USB port it works fine

I was wondering if anyone has used an external DVD drive on their SP3 and encountered any issue.

I also welcome any idea I could try next. Planning to go to a Microsoft store with the drive and see if it works there in case something is wrong with my USB port.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It sounds like the USB Port is giving the DVD Drive enough power, you can use "Y" Cable in plug the power cable into the Power Adapter Charge Port or use a Powered USB Hub....

be77solo likes this.
  3. scrambler

Thanks but I don't think this is the issue. This drive is meant to be used with a single USB cable and does not have a power port.

I tested it on a single Basic USB port on many different systems and it works fine this way.

4. jnjroach

But many of the Windows Tablets deliberately under-power the USB Port to conserve the battery life, the SP3 happens to be one that does this (SP2 as well)....not having the Power Connector is why I suggested the "Y" cable, it ensures that the device gets the 5 volts needed to power the device....

5. scrambler

There is only one USB port of the surface so you cant use a Y USB cable.
    if you are right that would make it impossible to run external DVD drive on the surface.
    I think I read other people seemed to be running them fine.
    EDIT: I have a powered USB hub Somewhere, I'll try that next to confirm.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  6. jnjroach

You plug the other end into the Charging Port on the Power Adapter, every External Drive is different is a bit different, typically it is the device needing more voltage to power up and read the disk. I've seen this with both 3.5" Drive Enclosures and some of my older 2.5" Drive Enclosures, USB Monitors and my External DVD Drive. YMMV...just sharing from my experience and the experience of other users....

7. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

That's why he suggested using the y cable to plug into the AC power adapter that has a full power USB port...

The Surfaces all have under powered USB ports... they work great for most devices, but something's like external drives or when using a hub and multiple devices require additional power.

Additionally, some drives simply require more power than others.

Edit: It appears we were typing at the same time :D

jnjroach likes this.
  8. scrambler

Good point, I did not think of using the Power adapter port... That being said you need to be really close to it or have a USB extension cable, because Y cables usually have short branches.

Anyway, I did confirm that you were right, I tested using a powered USB hub and it works. This means the USB port on the SP3 is underpowered. A questionable choice in my mind, but not a big deal as ultimately the DVD drive will be on the Docking station.

Thanks for the answers

9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad you got it working... I agree, not ideal and annoying, but it's been that way on all Surface models. There's only so much power to go around in something so thin.

10. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have not been able to get my external CD drive to burn CD/DVDs successfully
    with my Surface 3.

I have tried the Y connector, even plugging it into the Asus USB charger plug
    for power. The surface reads Over Power Surge on USB port. It shut it down
    and the CD drive will not work at all.

Also have tried CD/DVD w/ 6v p;lug in switch to external power drive.
    CD is recognized until you try to burn files. Spins up and fails during write.

Will Nero or another burning software work better than the included Windows program?
    I have always liked Nero, but my copy will not work on Windows 8/8.1