Surface pro 3 pen on other devices

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgopoos, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgopoos

drgopoos Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using surface pro 3 pen on Acer r7 and works very well.
    It even connects via Bluetooth but could not get more fn out of it in the laptop.

Anyone has suggestions to make the click to open onenote work in non surface devices ?

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm guessing there is a DLL that handles that function. In theory you should be able to copy it install it on your Acer and make some tweak in the Registry. I doubt it is legal though but I also doubt that MS would use its goodwill with NSA to track you down. Your best bet is if jnjroach hears your plea he is a Wizard when it comes to the inner workings of the Surface line.

drgopoos likes this.
  3. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

drgopoos likes this.
  4. badtriumph

badtriumph Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey drgopoos in your acer r7 with the surface pro 3, the palm rejection works?

And about the button to open the opennote, did you get it work?

Thank you!

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The R7 uses N-trig digitizer, so the N-trig part of the pen will "just work", palm rejection included. The palm rejection part is a function of how Windows works with active digitizers, not really the pen tech. When the pen is close enough for the digitizer matrix to detect it (hover), Windows ignores touch events.

The click to OneNote Bluetooth button is actually a independent device that has nothing to do with the digitizer.

6. alex w

alex w Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everyone.

Does this mean for ALL windows devices?? If I buy a Zenbook or any other touch-screen laptop, will the Surface Pen work with the same accuracy as with the Surface? I do not care about buttons or any other functionality - only accuracy and palm-rejection.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Only if the device has an N-Trig Active Digitizer in addition to the touch screen.

8. alex w

alex w Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been looking everywhere for info on this and not many sites have direct answers... Do you know if the Zenbook line has n-trig?

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Not the Zenbooks, but IIRC the TaiChi used the N-Trig Digitizer and possibly the T100/300 Chi, there is a thread in the ASUS Sub-forum that should answer that question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.