Surface Pro 3 pen Nib issues

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kontrol1, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Starting this thread to gather info on SP3 Pen nib. Looks like it is going to be a standout issue.

Right now all reports from the store demo units indicates a high rate of wear and flattening of the pen Nib.

(Mods: Of course Please delete thread if not necessary)

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's worth mentioning that MS has promised free nib replacements to all users.

Edit: and they're very easy to replace.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nib wear is a fact of life when you prefer to use softer ones. I pulled out the soft nib from my Wacom Bamboo Feel Stylus - Carbon to illustrate.

New_IMG_2406.jpg

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've written with N-Trig pens for the past 3 years and this is the first one that has been worth a damn. If wear is the price, I've no problem with that.

dstrauss likes this.
  5. zendragon

zendragon Scribbler - Standard Member

Free nib replacements for how long? Can I get 5 free nibs to keep on hand or do I have to order just 1 new one each time mine wears out? I don't mind the nib either for a better feel, but I'm also one of those people who doesn't mind sacrificing clarity for a matte screen protector to get that paper feel anyway. Plus, I hate fingerprints on my screen.

6. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, but don't you think this is very high wear rate. It has been only a week in the store and some nibs have flat ends. I mean the speed at which the nib is wearing would it even last a month? I don't have any experience on N-trig.

Thanks!

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Microsoft and N-trig are both aware of this issue. As has been reported several times, Microsoft has promised in the short term to supply a replacement nib to anyone who calls and asks. N-trig also reiterates that Microsoft intends to supply replacement nibs.

As for whether Microsoft changes the nib material. we'll have to wait and see...

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Seems like the least of worries, honestly. If that was the only issue my machine had, I would be one happy camper.

9. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Pen Pal - Newbie

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

You will not need replacement tips for that pen unless you drop it and bend it. I used that pen for a year with my Q550 until the internal corrosion made it unreliable. The tip still looks like new.

For you or anyone else interested in N-trig pens as a potential backup please see the Fujitsu thread (T580, Q550, Q572, Q702) and the HP State 500 thread for detailed reports of alternative pens.

By the way, this response may sound 'bad' but it is not intended to; my HTC Flyer pen was the best pen I had for my Q550 back then. They retailed for $70 and actually had a replacement tip in the package. It will work for quite a while and show little wear even under my heavy usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.