Surface Pro 3 - NTrig digitizer comments, questions & reviews

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mstoller, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jibily

Jibily Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a quick way to get replacement nibs yet? Or a non-phone way? Or do I actually have to call support?

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Lazer, don't worry, you're not alone in this.

I made an entire comparison video out of this slow tracking issue....which in my case was the Acer R7. I can also tell you, on the market now, Wacom Cintiqs and Pen Displays, and recently Bosto's new offerings, are the ones to look at if you're looking for suitable tablets.

[video=youtube;8v-dZ4Ohp8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-dZ4Ohp8c[/video]

Steve S, Lazer and gcoupe like this.
  3. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

Was interesting to watch.

4. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

spinedoc77 likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great find @bugelrex. Clip Studio Paint (aka Manga Studio) works very well on the Surface Pro 3. I know that the diagonal line jitter @whazzup illustrates is a real issue, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker for real world use.

6. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's put it this way:
    It is the only thing stopping me from acting on my impulse and pre-ordering it (not yet in Singapore). Otherwise, it's the perfect mobile machine. Sketchers / Note-takers / Painters, you don't need to wait any longer.

Artists who deal with thin lineart on a regular basis and do a lot of tracework, no. Stay away. This pretty flower is not for you. Sigh.....

Lazer likes this.
  7. Jibily

Jibily Pen Pal - Newbie

I do comic book inking on mine and I have no issues. The programs I use (Manga Studio/Clip Studio, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) all seem to function just fine. I don't get any jitter other than my own human-caused unsteadiness.

Additionally, a lot of artists that deal with lineart (at least in the comic field) prefer quick, flowing strokes that provide motion and life over slow, steady, mechanical strokes. So there are industries in which jitter won't be a problem even for devices that seem to be experiencing it. Mine does not.

8. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Just wanted to remind everyone!!

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That video is not representative of my Surface Pro 3 experience. If it were, I would have chucked mine in the Pacific a long time ago.

Jibily likes this.
  10. YakaDaka

YakaDaka Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok so I was playing around in OneNote for a while and have had the Surface Pro 3 for around a week. I pretty much am experiencing the portions of strokes not registering at random times. For example, I am writing a sentence and then I write out a letter. Either only a portion of the letter stroke will result or nothing at all. This is occurring in a non-random pattern and I have to say that it is extremely aggrevating having to erase and rewrite a letter so constantly when writing a decent amount. Does this sound like a problem with the Surface Pro 3 or the pen itself?

As a side note, the experience on Wacom feels much better. I feel like writing with the wacom is a continuous experience and everything just goes much smoother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.