Surface Pro 3 - NTrig digitizer comments, questions & reviews

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mstoller, Jun 6, 2014.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got a 128gb SP3 to try out the new Ntrig which Microsoft claims that it is the smooth and responsive etc etc whatsoever so I took with me while travelling and I am disappointed with the wiggly wobbly jittery pen accuracy. I'm hoping the new update will fix it.

And there is also another problem which may be common since I juat found this thread. On art programs like paint tool sai if you tap with the pen once in the canvas, youll see a ripple so it registers a single click I believe since I didnt see that on Asus VTN8.

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There is a programmable Radial Menu (v4) that you can download over at AutoHotKeys.
    I have not figured out how to get it to run though. There was something extra
    you had to download to get it to run in Windows 8. It looks kinda neat.

3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had been experiencing the same jittery results when drawing too slowly.
    Too fast, it skips strokes.

I have resolved this problem, somewhat, by putting a new AAAA battery in the pen.
    (I have left overs from my battery eating Dell pen)
    You may want to try that to see if it helps.

4. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't be sure SAM. I tried Sony's pen and same jitters happened so it's not related to battery or pen.

5. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

I picked an i7 on Friday... I am so in love, almost. The jittery jitters are insane on this! I have to ask, how did this device get released with such a horrible pen? I mean, it's really bad. It sounds like mine is the same as everyone's, yeah? It pretty much makes art impossible... No, it definitely makes drawing impossible.

My question is: Is it unusable for actual drawing for everyone else too? Should I wait for the update or return this as defective?

I am in love and completely heartbroken at once...

6. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

I think first you have to tell us how you draw. As far as I've read, the only ones having trouble are those who try and draw really really slowly.

7. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope. Just a normal speed, jitters the ink. Just watch my videos few pages back.

8. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

My unit doesn't seem to suffer from the jitters as much. Any I do see seem to be more a result of my shaky hand. Using a straight edge produces a fairly straight line.

The IAP in Fresh Paint seems a bit high for my liking though. A demo unit at the store was much better. Very smooth.
    Sketchbook Express is better though.

9. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

I got mine on Sunday and my pen seems to go through phases of when it wants my writing to come out sloppy. I've attached a picture comparing the random jitters to my normal writing. It's pretty bad! I exchanged it today and the same thing is happening.

Edit: is there any way to get a better quality picture uploaded?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  10. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about that, I got a bit emotional there LOL.

It works decently when doing sketchy, rough work; quick and dirty stick-figure stuff in One Note. In Sketchbook Pro I can sketch decently, but when it comes time to outline with a pen (which is often slow and/or detailed), it goes haywire and is completely unusable. Likewise, doing a detailed selection in Photoshop it gets jittery. Doing any detailed tracing is also a problem. So, basically, I do a lot of slow and detailed work with my stylus. Another important note, is that if going too fast, the ink lags much too far behind. So in order to see what's going on, you can only go so fast anyway.

For jotting notes and drawing crap that doesn't matter, sure it's "fine" - but jump into serious work and it gets excruciating.

As a Wacom user for over 7 years now, I completely rely on a stylus for my daily work. If I make quick short marks, then it seems okay - but anything with finesse (ie: slow) is a disaster. I did try using a straight edge and found it to be straighter, but still with a waver. Without a straightedge, I could sometimes get a similar quality line at just the right speed. The real issue however, is with shapes. That's when the jitters really come out. I can't tell you that my hand is perfectly stable and graceful - I'm not sure - but all I have to go by is my Wacom experience which has always felt natural and fluid. No issues going slow, getting detailed, etc.

I know it's different tech, so it may be unfair to compare - but unfortunately it's just not natural and is giving me some serious grief. Mind you, the grief comes from the fact that this is a completely beautiful machine, and is otherwise absolutely perfect for me. All I can hope, is that Microsoft is aware of the issues and will be able to fix them before my return window is up. Otherwise, I will be pretty devastated, because this thing should be amazing in this regard.

You can bet my fingers are crossed for Tuesday's supposed update...