SURFACE PRO 3 LESS THAN 1 MONTH OLD...GHOSTLY CRACKED SCREEN! HOW? WHY? WHAT THE...

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by surfboys, Feb 25, 2015.

?

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THAT OR THIS SITUATION?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2015.
  1. CHEAP?

100.0%
  2. NOT TESTED THOROUGHLY?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MAYBE TEMPERATURE CHANGE IN ROOM....?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfboys

surfboys Pen Pal - Newbie

I woke up to my Surface with a small but noticeable hairline crack in the middle of the screen. I REALLY take care of this thing and I've never dropped it, ever. I handle with care. Any reason why this would appear? And could that perhaps be repaired by warranty?

OK...I copied and pasted that from another forum....! WHY? Because the same SHI# happened to me. I picked up my Surface Pro 3 from the table I gently sat it on a few hours earlier and the screen had a hairline crack from one edge to the other....through and through...hairline. It did not allow me to do anything with the screen. Could not use the pen, TAB button, finger...NOTHING! But..the screen was pretty and bright. Which pissed me off even more!

I am single, I have no kids, animals...nothing in my home but AIR and ME. I did not drop the device, never have and always treat my gear with the love and care...always.

Well, I went to Microsoft web site an input my serial number and everything they required from me in order to get a repair ticket going. I am thinking, $500 bucks on top of the already spent $1300 for the device a few weeks ago. Well, it had a warranty for 2 years and they set up a FEDEX pick up and I have the Surface Pro 3 on it's way to McAllen Texas bound for their TRASH HEAP. Since they have to verify that their cheap glass...screen or whatever the F...you want to call it...does have a crack in it! Then THEY WILL THROW IT AWAY.

They promised me a replacement in a few days...! The lady on the phone indicated in about five days.

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THAT OR THIS SITUATION?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Your poll is slanted, any mass produced product will have devices with defects, I have seen some devices using glass screens where a defect can cause a crack typically by pressing near the front facing camera. They are fixing it for you and that is good.

3. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think I like where this poll is going...

All of a sudden, it feels like voting day again...

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sounds like you purchased Complete Care and MS is replacing your unit for free. If not, I would not be so mad, since it still seems like you are being treated like your unit has complete care. If that had happened to our Asus M80TAs, we would be SOL. Who knows what your Surface was subject to before you got it? I guess I won't be voting in your poll.

BTW, if you are still within 30 days, you can still get complete care, since it is available for the first 45 days after purchase. It has accidental damage protection as well. Sh*t happens. The important thing is are you being left out to dry by the brand?

5. tgv

tgv Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by "that or this"?

6. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

My honest opinion is the glass is a bit too thin and I would've preferred a slightly thicker device with a thicker slab. So I'm not surprised to hear of cracks, although I doubt it happened without some sort of pressure.

I also haven't personally seen a SP3 without a slight curvature to the frame along the top, which could be putting some extra stress on the glass. That includes store models, a couple that I exchanged, and the one I finally accepted. Add to that, every one I've seen has also had other various flaws, all of which were very minor.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to say there are some minor quality control issues with the product. I just consider it growing pains, and Microsoft support has been awesome. The fact that it's still my favorite technology purchase says a lot about the product. QC will improve and until then Microsoft has earned my trust that they aren't out to screw anyone over. But that's just from my experience.

7. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In all honesty, to the OP, seeing as it's your first ever post I'm personally just going to ignore your complaints as it's pretty obvious that you're after blood. Things happen, they really do, so just get it replaced as you are doing and move on.

P.s. We have around 4 SP3s in work, 4 SP2s and 2 Surface Pros and not one has had an issue with the screen. None.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

I've heard the screen flex a lot. I haven't tried it. But I can't say I've ever heard of any of them miraculously cracking...

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My screen on my first unit cracked too....but it also did so from a 3-foot drop onto a concrete floor screen side down.

One thing I can say though is that the screens are actually fairly durable. Due to a mishap on Microsoft's part (lack of communication between the website and the physical store) I ended up happily with 2 Pro3's. Since I have a spare, I tend to treat my current one very very roughly. I don't bother with a case, I put stuff on top of it, I bring it everywhere, etc. To sum it up, I more or less give it my i5/8gb/256 Pro3 the same overall care I would give to a $200 baytrail tablet.

And its held up....there have been times when I dropped my very thin bag too harshly with the Pro3 in it... expecting the screen to be cracked....and nope...at most the back is a bit scuffed up.....and my unit does have this weird bent-ness to it on the bottom right corner .....but its had that for awhile.

Also with Microsoft's Care Coverage.....they might actually just repair your unit instead of scrapping it. My aforementioned situation was a bit odd admittedly, but first the Microsoft Store itself sent me a new unit, and then from Microsoft Direct weeks later....I got my original unit back with the screen fixed.(even checked the serial number)

10. surfboys

surfboys Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my package from FEDEX and the return Surface Pro 3 has a broken and cracked screen. Still in package from FEDEX have not opened other than the first layer of white wrap the clear wrap is still on the SP3. Screen broken and all places. COMPLETELY broken, like if someone stepped on it. NOT HAPPY WITH MICROSOFT. Need a response and what needs to be done. Called FEDEX and they stated that MICROSOFT NEEDS TO HAVE THEM COME BACK AND PICK UP THE PACKAGE and for you to file a claim on this package.

NOT HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED. JUST GOT THE PACKAGE LESS THAN 20 MINUTES AGO. WENT INTO OFFICE OPENED PACKAGE AND THE SCREEN IS BROKEN...BROKEN...BROKEN....I AM PISSED OFF......

INFORMATION OF THE ONE THAT I RETURNED EARLIER IS BELOW.
    [​IMG]

Surface Pro 3 - 128GB

Serial Number: 0761232424****

Standard Warranty: Expires Sep 17, 2017

PHOTOS OF THE SP3 THAT MICROSOFT SENT ME...NEW...BUT ARRIVED WITH ALSO A BROKEN AND CRACKED SCREEN. SHATTERED.

MICROSOFT IS SENDING OUT ANOTHER ONE...!

Service In Progress: SR# 12809684#### unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Order Created: Feb 23, 2015

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.