Surface pro 3 graphic perfomance

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Allarih, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

I got similar results as you when I ran the test way back when on the default resolution (1080). As I have the demo version, I can't seem to change it.

Also can't seem to install the Intel update. Tried both the .exe ("driver not validated for your device") and the .zip ("Your drivers are up to date") downloads.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The test I ran, as far as I know, was at 2160x1440 (As in I didn't change anything)

To install the new drivers go to device manager, Intel graphics etc, driver tab, update driver, browse my computer for driver software, let me pick, and point towards the unzipped folder then open the graphics folder. That's from memory so if you've missed a step please forgive me.

3. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

I noticed that with yesterday's update the drivers reverted back to the older v10. Is there anyway to prevent MS update from changing the newly installed?

4. Barstuck

I believe 3DMark uses its own resolution, not the devices. I too use the default max resolution, but if you look under the "Custom" tab in 3DMark, there is an option (disabled for me in the free version) to change the rendering resolution (shows 1920 x 1080).

I was able to install the updated drivers. When I first tried, I did all the steps you mentioned, except the "Let me pick...".

New results:
    Fire Strike: 688
    Sky Diver: 3006
    Cloud Gate: 4163

Note: In subsequent runs of Fire Strike I am only scoring in the high 500s (580)

5. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

In the System Properties (type "advanced system settings" at the Start screen) and click the Hardware tab. There, you'll see "Device Installation Settings" where you can choose to never (automatically) install driver software from Windows Update (they'll still be listed, though, for manual installation).

6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

DAMMIT you beat my score! :) Thanks for the info as well about screen res. (I didn't skip the demo)

7. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

8. Barstuck

I tried running 3DMark tonight. Got scores of:
    • Fire Strike: 702
    • Sky Diver: 2905
    • Cloud Gate: 4409
    • Ice Storm: 46120
    So improvements across the board against my previous scores (except Sky Diver) of 5-10%.
    Can not say which update, or if it even ambient temperatures, causing the improvements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.