Surface pro 3 graphic perfomance

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Allarih, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playsted

playsted Pen Pal - Newbie

The SP3 fan doesn't work exactly like that. The vent visually goes all the way around the device but it actually has one small section that it uses to take in air, and the rest is the exhaust. The intake is about 4 cm (or something like that) wide area on the top of the device almost to the far right side. The design seems a little weird as it is blowing hot air from the heat sink onto everything else inside the device...

Here is a crude illustration of it:

[​IMG]

Also from thermal imaging of back:

[​IMG]

stoneseeker likes this.
  2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure it's not the other way around? May be all our problems are caused by some mixed up contacts :)

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Nice graphic. What I was proposing is not blowing air into the device but extracting it. I may not have been clear on that. With a good extraction all the air from inside would be drawn out and not let it stagnate inside the device at all.

4. cothek

cothek Pen Pal - Newbie

This design seems backwards. It would be much more efficient blow the hot air directly out of the case.

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Are you sure that graphic is correct. Blower fans (the type that the Pro 3 uses) pull in air from above the fan, and then push the air out radially. I don't actually have one, but it seems far more likely that it pulls air from the thin space above the fan (the blue stripe area), and then pushes it out in ALL directions, meaning that it would seem to me that the blue arrows aren't correct.

The reason (in my mind) that area would be cooler than the rest is that it is so close to the edge of the device. The air has to travel further to be pushed out of the device in other locations.

But of course, I could entirely be wrong since like I said, I don't have the device. :D

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Are you sure that graphic is correct...>>

...I don't have one either (yet) but I think the sketch is correct. What's missing from the discussion is the gasketing that segregates and guides the airflow; see that "foam seal?"

The foam seal isolates the "top" of the fan so that it draws air in from the top and down into the center of the centrifugal impeller. The little inset picture shows the outer edge of the impeller where the air flows out through (probably) two apertures, one on each side...

jhoff80 and playsted like this.
  7. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd be shocked if microsoft didn't test the reversed way when developing such a sophisticated heat dissipation system.

8. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

after all the cpu is the most important part to be cooled down in the system, so the reversed way may not work that well because the cpu will be the last one to get the air.

9. playsted

playsted Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe my graphic wasn't clear because we seem to be saying it works the same way. The top (really the back/bottom of the device but we are looking from the back in the pictures) of the fan is sealed from the rest of the internals with that foam seal (green). The fan pulls air in the top from the blue area as you said. The only way for air to get into this blue area is from the intake at the top (blue arrows) due to the foam seal. The air is then spun outwards (red arrows). The hot air doesn't travel upwards in the photo because there is no path for it to take, there is the wall of the surface there.

jhoff80 likes this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, sorry. I stupidly missed the thing with the foam seal until Steve pointed it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.