Surface Pro 3 - Display, including screen resolution, glare, pen calibration

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by mstoller, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mstoller

mstoller Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm starting a few new threads to (hopefully) organize some of the Surface Pro 3 commentary.

Please post your experiences, comments and questions on the Display for the SP3.- including comments on Screen Resolution, glare, working outside with the SP3 display, pen calibration, etc.

For a great overview of the SP3, please see the first post in the Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread.

Note: these new threads will include:
    • Surface Pro 3 - First impressions & hands on experience
    • Surface Pro 3 - NTrig digitizer comments, questions & reviews
    • Surface Pro 3 - Keyboard cover comments and questions - as well as case options
    • Surface Pro 3 - Battery Life
    • Surface Pro 3 - i3 vs i5 vs i7
    • Surface Pro 3 - I hate it because it doesn't work for typing in my lap (ok, maybe I wont create this thread....)
    • Surface Pro 3 - Dock options
    • Surface Pro 3 - Screen resolution, glare, pen calibration, etc

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

Great initiative. This is exactly the information I need to determine if the Surface Pro 3 suits my needs.

More specifically, I want to know which available resolutions you can choose for the tablet, and if one can run fullscreen with scaling or if it just adds black bars and gives you a tiny window in the middle.

For reference, the Surface Pro 2 seem to have had issues with fullscreen scaling that you could work-around with tricks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoRcZmjm8_E

3. Diversion

Diversion Pen Pal - Newbie

Would have rather seen a 4:3 ratio than 3:2.. But 3:2 is a good compromise I guess.

4. jerald14

jerald14 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm curious about the display's color gamut coverage and accuracy. How is it out of the box compared to the previous models? I also wonder if it can be calibrated properly to get the proper temp/gamma/grayscale/gamut accuracy.

5. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe that these are the sRGB ranges.

View attachment 6386 gamut_575px.jpg

The Surface Pro 2 versus the Surface Pro 3.

Swiped them from their AnandTech reviews/previews.

6. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually noticed there was a video of gaming on the Surface Pro 3. And it does have those accursed black bars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8h4e_jZSE

The question is if it can be fixed when you play. Someone mentioned one way was to set resolution to same in windows as the game, but that would require more information about valid Surface Pro 3 resolutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.