Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Just read a review from computer world and stopped halfway. The reviewer implied that his stylus for surface pro 2 could be attached somewhere near the power cord slot.... can't believe such words. I only expected such unprofessional and irresponsible statements from China's tech medias. So disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Write up at Engadget. Sounds like it is just a critique of the keyboard but for a writer that lives and dies on deadlines it is something to think about....

Ditching the MacBook Air for Microsoft's Surface Pro 3

Edit: One part of this critique suggests that in the simple world of 'tablets' a docked TabletPC is a laptop replacement for doing 'work' and an undocked TabletPC is for 'play.' That is pretty pathetic and this writer needs to get out in the real world where we use these for 'work' every day.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

I get so confused about keyboard complaints too, as I think the type cover is a great keyboard. There isn't much a would trade it for, besides my aging dinovo edge...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dstrauss and jhoff80 like this.
  4. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At my advanced age, my eyesight is not as sharp as it once was, and squinting at tiny fonts and images on smartphones is not a favourite pastime of mine. Sometimes, size matters.

5. ile

ile Scribbler - Standard Member

In my opinion, the SP3 is a great Prosumer-Tablet, but it fails miserably at competing with laptops, at least in my opinion. I'll tell you why:

- the solid keyboard of my Samsung Series 9 is feels way better for typing than the Surface Cover

- the much bigger and better feeling touchpad of my Series 9 is worlds better than the Surface's one. Plus: it has more useful gestures. For the Desktop environment, this is a Killer Feature for me

- a normal laptop lets you adjust the angle not only between 22 and 150 degrees backwards, it also supports the other direction which is so important for me when using it in my bed.

If the SP3 just had a Cover just like the Asus Transformer Series, it would be my laptop Killer. But as it is right now: it's just a tablet that can NOT replace my laptop.

But, to be honest, I consider buying it as my companion device just for the sake of the pen Input capabilities and the disappointing experience that I had with the T904...

[Sent from my HTC One]

6. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

It could just be me, but I would have taken a SP1 with a type cover over a laptop in college. Sure the type cover isn't as good as a laptop keyboard, but the SP1's usability for taking notes notes in class or doing certain types of homework far exceed that of a laptop. I can type up a paper on the SP1 with a type cover just fine. I can't use a laptop like a traditional paper notebook. The SP3 seems to be better than the SP1 in every way. I can't say it would replace a laptop for all users, but it most definitely has gotten to the point where there is a large user base that would benefit from it moreso than a laptop. That said, most students aren't walking around with $1000 to blow on a tablet, so even for that group, I don't see the SP3 supplanting laptops.

jhoff80 likes this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I almost don't know where to begin with comments like this.

The "complainers" all center around lap use only. Almost NO ONE, other than perhaps journalists, use their laptop IN THEIR LAPS the majority of the time. On a desk, at a table, you name it. If you want a desktop-like typing experience, spend $50 and get a good Logitech or Microsoft full size keyboard.

My point - for 90% of business users, the SPro 3 will be used on a flat surface - and I would wager for most of that time as a desktop/laptop replacement connected to a big screen, USB hub, and full size keyboard. In this scenario, where your biggest use for portability is to go home at night and extend your workday, the Type Cover 3 is head and shoulders above your iPad without a keyboard - what you say, you have a ZAGG or Logitech keyboard...hmmmmm. Granted, a hard flat keyboard will be more stable - but do you really intend to write that entire 50 page contract sitting on the couch with your laptop "lapped" - I doubt it.

If you truly MUST HAVE a solid keyboard, there are dozens of alternative systems in the Windows universe, and the almighty MacBook Air and Pro...leave the Surface Pro 3 to those who have enough intelligence to recognize the flexibility it affords the user.

jhoff80, Bronsky, bloodycape and 7 others like this.
  8. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

SurfaceProArtist (who actually claims to be a non artist) reviews the Surface Pro 3 after a week of use!
    Surface Pro 3: One week later... — Surface Pro Artist

I've been constantly refreshing his site for the past week, waiting for this review. Not as detailed as I had hoped but it has some very good insight.
    1401470793273.jpg
    Image credit: SurfaceProArtist :D

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

A lot of interesting tidbits in that last one.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All the cell phone GPS programs I see, like iOS maps, Google maps, Waze, etc are all scaled up to be seen well on a cell phone even at arms length. Even something as tiny as an iphone 5s looks quite nice and readable at arm's length, and my eyesight is on the way out as well.

Do you use your GPS in the car primarily? Do you have a mount for it? I'm just curious as I tried the humungous GPS thing when I first got my ipad and quickly realized it didn't make sense to have a huge device somehow mounted on my dashboard. I could only imagine a 12" SP3 mounted on someones dashboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.