Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Did I break my SP3?

I carried it under my arm for a few minutes today (cover attached and closed) and thought to myself I might be squeezing it a little too hard at one point. The next time I woke it up and ever since (despite multiple hard reboots), a phantom touch seems to be constantly active in one area of the screen. Single-taps in that area are registering as right clicks, first with a faded white circle appearing in the area, followed by an outlined square, and then sometimes a right-click menu; finger touch is completely flakey (on and off) all over the screen; even the touchpad is sometimes unresponsive.

I've never had any phantom touch issues, and no updates were performed prior to this problem.

Is it possible that I squeezed hard enough with my armpit that I damaged a screen sensor and am now, as they say, screwed? Should I bother trying to do a factory reset?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Step one: carefully clean the screen. I've had phantom touches appear with a dirty screen on a Surface 3. If that doesn't fix it, here are Microsoft's recommendations.

3. dbrn

Thanks Joe. I've already tried all of those steps except a reset (and cleaning - I'm not so clever) and the problem persists.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Ugh.. TBH it doesn't really sound like a problem that can be fixed with a factory reset, but I've been wrong before. I wonder if you can test it without resetting your machine by running Windows from a bootable USB. If the problem persists in pre-boot environments (e.g. BIOS) or when running from USB, it seems more likely that it's a hardware issue.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Doesn't the BIOS menu have a touch interface? If the ghost touch happens there as well, it has to be a hardware issue.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dbrn

Wish I'd read these before I did the reset, because the problem did indeed persist in the BIOS menu, and, now, post-reset. Now I have a reset machine AND the touchscreen HID turned off so that at least I can use the pen/kb without constant interference. Awesome. Think I'll go see how effective punching yourself in the face is for traveling backwards in time.

JoeS likes this.
  7. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Update:

I have solved my problem for the moment,
    in case someone else has the same problem.

Recalling the DOS days, when there was problems,
    we would run SFC (system file checker)
    I scanned the files using Command prompt SFC and
    apparently there was some corrupt files that it repaired
    enough for it to boot.

Don't know if this is temporary or if this fixed the problem.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Boot up Problem

I'm having boot up problems to my start screen.
    First press of the power button results in either a black screen(mouse cursor is visible)
    or a partial 1" black strip on right hand edge and bottom left hand corner.

I can reboot and get a full star screen, no problems.
    Do you think this is hardware or software problem?

Thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

Curious, were the throttling issues ever "fixed" on the i5/i7 models to the point where you can play games without FPS plummeting?

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...were the throttling issues ever "fixed" on the i5/i7 models...>>

...Yes, in the sense that after a few cycles of updates, the throttling behavior was much less objectionable. I still use my Pro 3 to play (not very demanding) games and the throttling is no longer a problem.

As for more demanding games, I can't really comment. Perhaps another forum member has an opinion?

10. MacrosTheBlack007

MacrosTheBlack007 Scribbler - Standard Member

That's great to hear! I have a friend looking at a Surface Pro 3 i7 model. He likes to play games such as Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Civ 5/6, etc.