Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, so much for management credibility - good thing for them they aren't contending with Samsung's battery issues...

What really freaks me out are the Microsoft defenders at that site - as a lawyer I cringe when they say "it ain't in your warranty, so you've got nothing to complain about" it was ONLY "Panos advertising the $200 replacements - no inducement to buy in comments like that" - SURE

dbrn and WillAdams like this.
  2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

3. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My two SP3 i5 fans can get quite loud, seemingly randomly. This was more of a problem when the model was first released. I notice them whirring up far less often now.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Just as a heads-up, that poll has a link as well. Please check it out and cast your polling info there. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I posted about this over in the W10 forum, but haven't had much response...

Cortana reminders don't work since Anniversary update. I can set reminders by voice or keyboard, but the 'speech bubble' icon in the system tray never turns white when it's scheduled to and reminders don't appear in the Action Centre. In fact, I don't think I'm getting any notifications at all. Quiet Hours is off. The only thing I can think is that this is tied to the fact that, being in Canada, I'm running Canada (English) as my language (even though the same setup was working just fine before the Anniversary update). This is all on my Surface Pro 3.

Is anyone else facing this?

7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here is a new "feature" I have discovered. I took a short trip a while ago and didn't take my charger because I expected less than four hours of use. I used it briefly the first evening to check Email. Next evening when I tried to power up, nothing, battery dead as a dodo. Then just this morning after returning from another trip, I took the SP3 out of the travel bag, flipped the type cover up and the SP3 was running! Experiments led to the amazing discovery that if the power button is pushed when the SP3 has been shut down and type cover folded, it boots up. Power plan options are, shut down when lid is closed, which it does, and do nothing when power button is pushed (while running) which it does.

I think the power button was accidentally pushed while in the travel case on both of my trips.

So, is this a known "feature" of the SP3?

Regards, Jim

8. PhysicalTherapyGuy

PhysicalTherapyGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all! Thought I'd introduce myself! I'm a Surface Pro 3 who might have a bit of a unique background for here (or maybe not).

I've been a Mac user since OS X first became available in 2000. I knew Apple designed a new operating system from the ground up with a UI that was beautiful and well thought out. I could tell right away that Apple was showing incredible levels of innovation that would bring them to a leadership role in the industry. I could also tell that, if Microsoft kept on their current course, they'd be fighting for relevance. I even wrote as much on a Mac forum about 10 years ago. Fast forward to today and that's exactly what's happened.

With that said, I used to be management in the tech industry before I got tired of the rat race so I'm currently going to school for physical therapy. I want to help people. As a result, I needed a laptop I could take with me to school, my gorgeous iMac wasn't going to cut it. So I went to my regular Mac forum and asked for advice and was surprised to read half of the posts recommending a Surface Pro 3 (I posted this in the MacBook Pro section of the forum). I figured any computer that Mac folks were recommending to a student that wasn't a Mac was worth looking into.

Needless to say, I bought a Surface Pro 3 I3 version and with Windows 8.1 I had an extremely solid device. Heck, even though my Windows 8.1 experience lasted only 4 months, I'd say the device was bullet proof during those 4 months. Only I didn't like the UI. I'm an extreme multitasker, and the UI of the device didn't support that at all. It didn't have multiple desktops, and I found task switching and the start menu to be pretty lack luster.

I was pleased to read about the new features Windows 10 would have that would support my needs. When Windows 10 came out, I decided to upgrade right away. Holy crap, what a mistake! Just so you know, the issues with start up issues wasn't isolated just to Surface Pro 4 users (which brings into question whether the issue was really skylake drivers from Intel). After a couple of months I went on my Mac forum and ranted and raved about what a POS my Surface was, and how Microsoft was even worse than I remembered. Frankly Microsoft deserved my contempt.

So I went out, feeling both foolish and validated at the same time, and bought myself a beautiful new MacBook Pro 13 inch. As you'd expect, the device performed to perfection (although I did have one bluescreen, which I never had on a Mac before). Battery life was rated to 10 hours, but because I was a light user I could get 14 hours on a *bad* day if I wanted.

For whatever reason, I decided to pick on my Surface Pro 3 one day and turn it on. I know I worried about leaving the thing unplugged and sitting around would impact the battery. When I turned the thing on, all sorts of updates and firmware updates took place, so I decided to give it a try just for the heck of it. I noticed that while the start up issues still existed, they weren't nearly as prevalent, and I also noticed I liked the darn thing right away. I could take the thing around in tablet mode and surf the internet or dock it with the keyboard and have a solid typing experience (and a crappy touchpad experience). Still, I could always use it with an external mouse...

In the mean time something happened with my MacBook Pro that pissed me off. I accidentally dropped my iPhone and the edge of the iPhone 6 plus landed on my MacBook Pro with a thwack. The next day I noticed there was a dent in my MacBook! Now the accident was completely my fault, by why should I found be able to dent my MacBook?!

It only made my appreciate my Surface Pro 3 with its solid titanium body even more. So solid yet so light, and so pleasing to touch with a smooth texture and a responsive touch screen. Unlike most Surface users, I tended to use my Surface mainly in tablet mode because a device good for consumption i.e. studying for school. Was it as good a consumption device as my iPad 4? Well, the UI wasn't as good from a touch interface standpoint, but the larger screen allowed me to more easily read my detailed textbooks. And having textbooks available on my Surface avoided me having to carry over 20 lbs worth of text books (this isn't an exaggeration, one of my books weighs 8.5 lbs and is 1650 pages).

And what about that kickstand? You know the "feature" I used to join Mac users in making fun of when the Surface Pro first came out, along with battery life? Well, that feature is freakin' awesome. I could place my Surface on a desk and read without having to hold it, and in a fairly good ergonomic position. I could also sit in a lounge chair and read without holding the device due to the kickstand. It meant that while my Surface Pro 3 was heavier than my iPad, it didn't effectively way ANYTHING because I wasn't holding it with my arms.

As the days progressed, I found myself using my Surface more and more. And with each software/firmware update my Surface become more reliable. Even the sleep/wake issue disappeared eventually, even if the resolution took long, way too long.

While all of this was happening, it was as if Apple was trying to piss off its loyal customers, the ones who stuck with Apple through the years. Off the top of my head: they raised the price of iPads $100 and renamed them “Pro” to improve their marketing position, they raised the price of the MacBook Pros for $500 at a time when demand for PC devices is declining, they raised the price of their Plus iPhone by $30 to offset more expensive material requirements for the camera, they removed the headphone jack from the iPhone, they removed the storage card slow from the Macbook Pro, they installed incredibly crappy keyboards on the Macbook Pro and the supposed new Macbook in an effort to make them thinner. I could go on and on.

Basically, it brought me to where I am today. I wanted to test something out and see perhaps I could get away with it. You see, I had this theory. I thought that maybe, just maybe I’d find my Surface Pro 3 more useful than my Macs. Trouble was, I was only using my Surface Pro on the small screen it came with because my iMac only had Thunderbolt 2 ports so I couldn’t use my Surface Pro 3 on a large screen (another strike for Apple). But I needed to replicate the experience of my iMac in order to be satisfied. I’m an extremely picky user when it comes to computers, and I’d rather spend 2k and be happy with my setup than $500 for a subpar experience. But if my theory was right, I didn’t need to spend 2k.
    Over the past couple of weeks I bought the following:

A 4K resolution monitor for $300
    Bose Soundlink III speakers for $100
    A Logitech 810 for $75
    A Logitech Ultrathin Mouse for $35

How has my experience been? Well, the speakers blow away my surround system on my TV. While the iMac has good sound for an all in one, it’s like racing an old person from a nursing home vs. an Olympic runner when you compare sound quality. I keep wondering why the screen quality looks so good and then I remember I’m now on a 4K monitor. The keyboard and mouse are no better than on the iMac, but they are no worse either which means they are outstanding. The Surface Pro 3 performs my tasks without hesitation and I can have a fair amount of programs opened with no problem.

So basically, I’m now in the process of selling my iMac, and my Macbook Pro (I already sold my iPad). I still believe Microsoft is fighting for relevance. But Apple is not because they believe they’ll keep relevant based on the brand loyalty of customers. As long as Apple innovates at this pace, Microsoft could be more relevant in the future. I know there’s an argument that Apple and Microsoft are no longer in competition. I disagree. Apple is leaving their lunch on the table, and Microsoft is too tempted not to eat it.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my story and let you know you’ll be seeing me! By the way I use my stylus on my Surface all of the time for Anatomy and Kinesiology in order to fill in muscle groups and write down muscle names and origins and insertions in order to help my memorize stuff. I do it hundreds of times a day and it works!

dbrn, kvoram, Telstar1948 and 2 others like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FWIW, you're glossing over the fact that Apple had to buy NeXT to get their new OS, and rather than having "designed a new operating system from the ground up" they actually took OPENSTEP 4.2 and re-skinned it after gutting it of several features, most notably Display PostScript (which Adobe required that they take out).

It kills me that the high water mark of my computing experience was a NeXT Cube paired w/ an NCR-3125 running PenPoint, and that the next nicest setup ever was a Fujitsu Stylistic running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition --- while it's been okay running Mac OS X at work, and on various iBooks and MacBooks --- the hardware doesn't suit, and I really wish that Apple would license their OS to companies such as Wacom who are doing innovative form factors which Apple doesn't make.

Similarly, every time I use a Windows 8 or later tablet, I find the HWR interface execrable --- every time I have to interact w/ Windows Explorer I want to throw the machine across the room, and using PowerShell is incredibly limiting when interacting w/ applications compared to AppleScript and its custom app dictionaries.

10. PhysicalTherapyGuy

PhysicalTherapyGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm well aware that Mac OS X was built on NeXT. Of course that had nothing to do with what I was posting, it's totally off topic. Don't you think my post was long enough?