Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not have issue,but I'm with 8.1.
    Did the yesterday firmware update and till now(few hours using my SP3) not had issue.
    Works perfectly!

Sent from my iPad Air 2

2. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm doing all the automatic Win 10 updates and my wifi hasn't budged at all this week.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Video Driver Alert! This morning my SPro3 would not recognize my external monitors, whether in the dock or direct connect to the min-DP port. Finally I rolled back the 9/29 upgrade in System Restore and surprise, everything works fine again. I AM DEFINITELY GETTING SCARED OF AUTOMATIC UPDATES - I want others to do my beta testing for me...

4. alextrela182

Perhaps this happened duo to yesterday firmware update if you had done it.
    I don't think is because of pure Windows update.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

5. dstrauss

Can you roll back firmware updates with Restore - I don't think so?

6. alextrela182

No you can't, but because I'm with 8.1 and windows update doing manually all the time, the last 5-7 days only Definition update shown when searching for Windows updates, except off course the 3 days ego firmware update.

Maybe in Windows 10 is different and you got more updates and that cause the issue you had as you said.

One of positive things staying at 8.1 over 10 having full manually control with windows updates.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I don't think is because of pure Windows update...>>

...I'm pretty sure that is, in fact, the case. Thanks to Dale's earlier post, I did a System Restore to 29 October and, sure enough, my problems went away, too. As you have already observed, System Restore can't undo a firmware update; it can only undo software updates. I did a little Internet research, and there are scattered reports that the last update, KB3093266 (Cumulative update for Windows 10 for x64-based systems) was failing to install correctly. Upon reflection, I realized that the update had, in fact, behaved strangely when I tried to install it. Taking the advice in one of the trouble reports, I manually downloaded the update and installed it. Contrary to the strange behavior using Windows Update, the manual installation ran smoothly and quickly, and more to the point, didn't cause my Edge / WiFi problems to reappear. So, another Windows Update disaster repaired...!

See:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/wind...fix-for-installation-error-found-493408.shtml

(Courtesy of Softpedia site)

alextrela182 likes this.
  8. alextrela182

Yes thats what I said above in the second post.
    That maybe It's Windows 10 specific update that caused the issue because I'm in 8.1 and doing manually updates and last couple of days except firmware update and Defender definition update not had all that period any other Windows update.

And you confirm that and my thoughts in my second post i repeat.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

9. dstrauss

Is this to be the process for the rest of our Windows life? I was very skeptical of required automatic updates, and it is a logical fear. I didn't realize that with the Pro version, I can delay up to three months, so I guess I'll go make the change and watch the rest of you suffer befoer I update.

10. alextrela182

Brussels Airlines and Surface Pro 3 improve customer and inflight experiences

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.