Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else noticed an unusual fan noise from their SP3, like it is rubbing or vibrating when the fan is on and the device is moved?

I'm on my third unit (first one traded in after couple weeks of under-whelming performance. Second performed great for a year until the screen turned yellow).
    After 3 or 4 weeks with this unit, I noticed that the fan seems to come on more often than my previous unit (even when just using OneNote or even email).
    But then last night, on top of the low 'whoosh' noise of the fan, I noticed a buzzing type sound whenever I moved the device (such as tilting one direction or another). It kind of sounds like the fan may be rubbing against something.
    I do not want to have to go through the replacement process again, but neither do I want to suffer from premature fan failure.

2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not on my SP3, but I experienced that on a past device. I'm assuming the fan was not secured correctly, or the fins within the fan housing itself are loose.

When I would position the tablet at any angle other than flat, the fan would grind. Sorry you've had continuous issues.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone else noticed an unusual fan noise...like it is rubbing or vibrating...>>

I suppose it is possible that something has gotten lodged in the fan. If you have an aerosol duster ("canned air"), you might try blowing it into the portion of the venting slot where the fan is located. That may or may not improve things.

If the noises persist, probably your only other option is to consider another replacement...

Good luck.

4. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

After further testing I have found:
    - Noise only occurs when the fan is on full. No issues when on low or mid speed.
    - Noise only occurs when I move the device while the fan is on full. I do not hear it when it is just sitting there.
    - My coworker has the same issue with his SPro3.
    - Microsoft tech verified the problem and said it may be a wire or something lose inside. Said it may not be a real problem, but just in case, I can get a new unit (will be #4).

Others may want to test theirs, just in case.

It is odd, my co-worker and I bought our Surface Pro 3's about a week or two apart (same model). After 10-11 months, his screen showed the yellow, and then within a week, so did mine. And now both seem to have this buzz noise.

5. Steve S

Has anyone noticed an increase in WiFi connectivity problems or an increase in Edge lag since the firmware update earlier this week?

Ever since I updated, Edge response has slowed to a crawl on some sites; however, I'm not sure that Edge is the problem. Other operations that involve WiFi are also slow...?

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

When I open Edge through a link it closes my Ethernet connection.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've never been a Chrome user until Edge. It drove me to a better alterantive, and now when Edge slows down, I open the same site in Chrome at lightning speed compared to Edge, almost all the time. My point - I really think these are all Edge problems, not WiFi or other firmware/software issues.

8. Steve S

9. Steve S

<<...Has anyone noticed an increase in WiFi connectivity problems...>>

...It's definitely the WiFi. It has suddenly become really flakey...

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm the king of WiFi problems, and mine is still holding steady...

Oops - forgot to knock on wood first, I'm doomed now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.