Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Awesome! Tell us how it works out. (If it's great, you should negotiate a referral fee for every customer you send to Mike!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't get this. I used 8.1 full-time for almost a year on my SP3 and can't remember any touch-functionality or gestures that it had that 10 doesn't. Maybe this is because I discovered Gesture Studio early on and it provides way, way more robust gesture control than any Windows. Anyway, can you list some of the touch/gesture features that are missing from 10?

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

The most important one for most: 1-finger swipe left/right as forward/back in metro IE11. This gesture is missing in Edge.

Anyway, gesture is not a problem once you have 3rd party gesture control apps. Those are WAY MORE powerful than the built in gestures.

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I may be thinking in terms of Modern UI apps.

Windows 8.1 seemed simpler for many default swipe gestures. Swiping in from the left, from the top, even the bottom. Now with Windows 10, swiping in from the bottom brings up the Taskbar, instead of the menu interface. To bring up the Modern UI menu(s), you have to lightly swipe in from the top to bring up the top bar and tap on the left icon and select "App Commands".

Windows 10 isn't missing these gestures so much that they are simply different from Windows 8.1. I personally found Windows 8.1's gestures to be simpler. But don't get me wrong, I prefer Windows 10 to 8.1 now, I just thought I'd offer my opinion that if one did want to go to Windows 8.1 from 10, and have not had experience with touch gestures, get used to Windows 10's gestures first to appreciate the simplicity of 8.1's gestures.

5. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I see. I didn't use any of the features either of you mentioned (didn't even know they existed), which explains my confusion. I guess I still think 10 is just as simple as 8.1, just different enough to require some different basic workflows. But in any case, the customizability of Gesture Studio makes almost all native gestures of either OS moot. Win 10 + GS = winning!

6. lonaysta

I encountered with a weird issue recently; or for a while (since I installed Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3).

After lots of trials/experiments, I drew this conclusion: The activation status of Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 can easily be revoked (i.e. deactivated) when I connect to certain WiFi. At the same time, I would be asked to re-enter MSA credentials.

This almost never happened to my home WiFi, but more than 3 times to my phone's mobile hotspot (stock Nexus 6 on at&t, WPA2 encryption), once to my neighborhood complimentary WiFi (Open connection).

The Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 is a clean installation after confirmed successfully activated upgrade from 8.1 to 10.

It's so weird that I almost can't take my Surface Pro 3 outside of home. Though I can always perform a system image recovery to get it activated again, it's just not right. And this is also time-consuming.

I wonder if anyone here could give some ideas on the reason of this weird issue?

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well there's a many many thinks missing or corrupt with Windows 10 as tablet/touch UI experience,not only gestures.
    Look at this list.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ch-worse/7bf4aafa-802a-4224-80d5-7a7f2e5f52ee
    That's way I'm staying with 8.1 both SP3 and S3.

There's a ton of details that makes something better or worst generally talking of OS.
    It this category Windows 10 is falling completely.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a fun one: I had a water bottle leaking in my bag yesterday and the AC adapter was flooded entirely. I drained it and let it air out 24 hours before using, but my first test of it today it isn't working. Any advice? No handy easy way to open up the unit, bleh...maybe I'll try some hairdryer action later. Screwed by not having another proprietary connector...add USB-C charging at least as a secondary option for future models...

9. lonaysta

If you are close to a MS store, they may even replace yours for free....YMMV, but my experience with them is great.

johnchad14 likes this.
  10. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Mm just a quick 6 hour hop =). I haven't given up on it yet anyway, as I'm guessing still some moisture in there that I just can't get out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.