Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmich

gmich Pen Pal - Newbie

Those of you who rarely/never hear your SP3 fans running--what anti--virus do you use? Maybe that's the culprit for me. I'm running Bitdefender Free.

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been using only Windows Defender.

Jim

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows Defender for me as well, and I guess I'm also one of the lucky ones: i5, only occasional fan noise and never anything I'd call a 'howl'.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, I just wanted to say that I really do know the difference between RAM and SSD storage, despite the fact that I confused the two in my earlier post. I meant... "twice the SSD storage" when I wrote "twice the RAM" etc, etc. (Mr. Boosh and I know how I could make such an egregious error as I did at this time ;)

But, is it true, or is it not true, that Haswell processors will still go into turbo mode when you put your power plan at anything below 100%, including much, much below 100%, whereas their predecessors would never turbo at all (and would throttle if they got hot and made fa s blaze anyway n ) if you just tipped them to 99%? A profound change with Haswell re: deturboing an i5 when you want it to act like an i3 at a slightly higher clock speed with no turbo/overclocking allowed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bronsky likes this.
  5. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm really not 100% sure and don't know enough to answer that. When I was using ThrottleStop on my Toshiba Z10t, I could lock the processor at a lower frequency than stock, but it would still turbo above (although it turbo'd a bit less) when under load.

I'd grab ThrottleStop and HWMonitor. Spend 45min testing some combinations, or post in the thread. I could be entirely wrong.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think that's right. It is certainly right if you set it to 0%. At that setting it doesn't leave the lowest p state (800 mhz). That's how I ran my T904 pretty much at all times.

One irritation though is there is no way I was ever able to find to clamp down the IGPU. In some instances, like simple MUI games, the gpu will run at full speed (presumably giving you extra unnecessary fps and rendering quality). This made playing simple games on my SP1 quite hot and noisy, while the same games ran on my atom tablet with no significant degradation in subjective quality, so that extra gpu oomph clearly wasn't needed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. lovelaptops

Thanks folks. I'm a little surprised this is not a well known and settled matter of knowledge. I ask, oh wise forum buddies, (this includes you, dstrauss!), if my earler questions have answers. :)

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just plain dumb in this corner...I've never messed with processor clocking (through power plan or otherwise)...I just suffer the fan noise - with ole age, and old eyes, comes old(er) hearing so I just try to put it out of my mind.

I know that is a childish attitude, and that whirring fan is extremely annoying in quiet environments (meetings, classrooms, etc.) but I have yet to read where anyone has solved the problem, save for buying a device (Surface 3, MacBook 2015) that is built fanless.

9. lovelaptops

UNACCEPTABLE dstrauss! You guys are my heros, you've forgotten more than I'll evet know! Now you all turn tail on me with such a simple question! Dale, please change you i-freaking-7 cpu power plan to 2% maximum processor performance and report your temperatures and fan noise experience, please , as soon as suits your convenience. I need to know whether to put Mr. Boosh's crack back on the street.

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe this was one of the controversial discussion points for enthusiasts, who wanted the efficiency of Haswell but missed the relative freedom that Ivy Bridge had. For most purposes, Haswell as-is is really great. However, for more niche users like ourselves, who would prefer less CPU power in trade for less heat and less power consumption, it's one of those "hey, you're just SOL".

I just let it be. The majority of the time the stuff I'm doing won't require the fan to spin up. It only spins up when I'm really getting to work and have VS and a VM open. Then the fan is just constantly on, but at low speed. But that's no different than with a laptop... so I don't complain because it's the expectation especially with a computing device this thin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.