Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

I bought a Surface Dock today for my SP3, and am trying out actually replacing my Desktop (an Alienware Aurora R4 Powerhouse) with my SP3, mostly because I don't do what I used to do anymore, and wanted to see if I can get by with just the SP3 and my external 27" WQHD (2560x1400) monitor. The goal is to reduce my electricity usage, as the Alienware was on most of the day and my Kill-A-Watt meter said it was over 200W during normal (idle) usage. My SP3 (in dock) with monitor is about 80W, so that seems significant. Even more significant is when the monitor is off, it goes down another 60W to about 22W.

I noticed there was no setting to turn off the monitor after x number of minutes in the power settings (using Balanced, as that is the only power plan listed). Under advanced settings, there is a "display" branch, and in there I can set the minutes to sleep the monitor. I set it to 5 minutes.

The problem is, when I change that setting, it also changes the "computer to sleep" to 5 minutes. Whatever the display sleep setting is, the system sleep adjusts accordingly. Obviously, I don't want the SP3 to sleep, just the external monitor.

So, the question (and I bet there isn't a good answer) is how can I get the monitor to sleep after x minutes, but not have the SP3 itself go to sleep? This is all about saving power/electricity/$$$ so there should be a way.

Thank you!

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Are you using the control panel or the Modern UI settings app? I think you can only control the monitor sleep using the control panel. It is here:

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm using the latest Intel HD drivers and set the refresh rate of the panel to 60hz but every time I reboot my device or power on its always at 48hz and have to put in manually every time.
    What can I do to keep all the time at 60hz
    Thanks.

Sent from Asus Vivo Tab 8

4. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

Control panel. On a stock SP3, the Edit Plan Settings gives you very few options. Basically, I found out that the Connected Standby feature was the cause of lack of power options. I disabled it, and now I have the option to sleep the monitor after x minutes, but have lost the option to sleep the computer itself...it's not listed as an option. I did a "powercfg /a" and it lists only Hibernate and Fast Startup as supported power modes. S1, S2, S3, Hybrid, Connected Standby all show as not available in the firmware.

At this point, I'm still a little puzzled because when the monitor sleeps, the SP3 fan shuts off too, but it seems it's still awake because I can ping it and remote desktop into it, and my external drive activity LED blinks like there is activity. But, if I send myself an email from my iPhone with Outlook running, I don't hear the tone that a new email arrived. So, is it running or not? Is there a way to get more control over power states? I want to be able to configure it like a desktop, just like Microsoft said I could do!

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also use Macrium Reflect (Free version) to backup my SP3. I used to use Acronis that came free with my WD USB drive, but Macrium feels smaller and less bloated. Just my 2 cents.

As for how long it takes to make the image, that is entirely dependent on how much you have installed and stored on the SSD. For example, I currently only have 44GB free on my 256GB (of which only 232GB is actually available). So doing a backup for 190GB takes about an hour to (1) backup and (2) validate the recently backed up file over the network. I have it scheduled to run once a month, on the last Sunday of each month. I have a batch script that triggers all of this so it's automated. It checks that my network drive is available, if it is it starts the backup. (If it's not available, e.g. I am traveling, it quits). After the backup is completed it runs the validate.exe file that Macrium provides to users to check that the backed up file is good. (If the file is bad, it writes an empty .log file to the backup location with the date, indicating to me that something failed, and I'll know to check it later).

Telstar1948 likes this.
  6. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

No it definitely was not part of the Windows initial setup, as I checked what processes where running. And I had the machine on for some time without much use, as it was a few weeks before I got enough time to transfer my work environment over to it properly.

It was purely down to running certain apps which tax the CPU. There must be some changes in the firmware, as with the latest firmware those same apps don't produce a hurricane fan noise anymore. The fan does come on, but it is now acceptable. In fact I'm really pleased with it from my experience so far. I'd be thinking of getting rid of my desktop completely if it wasn't for the fact that the SP3 can't house the 3 DSP soundcards I use.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I haven't fully kept up with the news, but last I remember reading the Powered keyboard worked with the SP3, but the battery didn't? Is that fixed now? And if the keyboard doesn't have a charge can one still use it(I did a google search but no dice on an answer)? If so how much will total battery life be with the i3 variant(again no dice on a google search)?
    Last question, I know the USB port is a but power limited, but in day to day usage is this an issue? Like if I plug in a usb stick, Toshiba usb powered external or a DSLR camera will they work? What about if I need to charge my phone? Thank you.

8. ElectronicFur

So I can report that using the Stardock MST hub works, sort-of. I'm connecting my two monitors (one monitor at 3400 x1440, and one at 1080 x 1920).

Everything works fine until a sleep, reboot or disconnect and reconnect from hub screws it up. Also it is not consistent. Sometimes I can put the Surface Pro into sleep or reboot it and it wakes up and all monitors are fine, and another time it will fail and I have to go through a whole process of unplugging everything/powering everything off, then reconnecting everything one by one. Eventually it works again, but I haven't quite worked out what sequence of events makes it work again.

I don't seem to be alone with these problems, others describe the same issue here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-issues/f0b827c5-ec7a-4fd9-8a9d-263b58d309c2

I have also tried upgrading to the latest Intel graphics driver, as described on https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2ripz4/enabling_intel_hd_graphics_control_panelupdating/ but that did not help either.

Very frustrating.

9. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Would just like to check something. About 1/3 of the way down that reddit ("3 months ago") two posters confirm the driver versions they're discussing, both the stock Surface driver and the latest Intel driver. Both of those version numbers are 10.18.10..., whereas today my Pro lists a 10.18.14.... So by following that reddit, aren't you downloading an older driver than what would already have been on your Pro (assuming you have Automatic Updates on)?

I'm mostly wondering because I'm curious to try the 3:2 aspect ratio at 100% scaling discussed in that reddit.

10. ElectronicFur

No, the latest Intel driver, that I downloaded today, is 10.18.14.4156 (confusingly also referred to as 15.36.18.64.4156 by Intel in the readme), dated 03/03/2015, so it's later than the stock Surface one. Installing it adds access to the Intel HD Graphics control panel, which allows setting of custom aspect ratios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.