Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Do share if you are able to attach them at 60 Hz and share how it works/ performs :)

2. violet182

violet182 Pen Pal - Newbie

So this is my story. I was desperate to upgrade my Samsung series 7 slate. I had heard of the surface pro line and also the Thinkpad Yoga which had just come out.

I had a look at the Surface pros but they just seemed too small to really draw on. After owning the slate which was 11.6 inches, I had decided it would have to be at least the same size or larger.

I am also interested in Maya and zbrush and photoshop and wanted the i7.

So I took the plunge and bought the yoga.

I absolutely loved the wacom and the folding positions were amazing for drawing. The trackpad did drive me mad. But one of the biggest annoyances was actually Cleartype. No matter what forum or tech help I could find or setting i could change or script I could run…the text would go fuzzy when rotating the screen from portrait to landscape. In this day and age, and with a computer sold specifically to turn upside down and flip, I couldn’t believe there was no resolution to this. (there still isnt a solution….and I cant believe people are just ignoring it).

I also had an issue where there was a light spot on the display. I ended up sending it off for a new display after 3 weeks.

While it was in for repairs I saw the launch of the surface pro 3. I was so excited and feeling really worried I had just made a poor decision to buy the yoga.

I watched the launch and was writing down all the things I liked better than the yoga…..And at the very end….I found out about the switch to N-trig. I almost lost it…..so close to perfection!

Anyway I decided to give up on the surface pro 3 and deal with the thinkpad yoga.

I downloaded and app called cleartype tuner and you had to run it everytime you rotated….also yo

u had to reopen the browser or program you were running to apply changes and for the type to become clear again….so annoying!

Then when my yoga got back from repairs, half the display didn’t respond to touch….So I immediately sent it back for repairs…..got it back again and the display had ghosting issues!! Was so frustrated and had just decided to move abroad….I needed to get this sorted out while I still had the Australian warranty to back me up. No matter how many times I kept sending it back to lenovo….it was never properly fixed.

I decided to use Australian Consumer Law and demand a full refund….and after a lot of negotiations, I got my refund.

But without my portable cintiq like device I was really missing drawing out and about and using it for art etc.

So I thought I would buy a Surface pro 3 ….IF I didn’t like it I could just return if within 14 days and that would be the end of the wondering.

So here I am now. I obviously loved it after a tweaked it and set it up how I like.

And wouldn’t you know it? My cleartype issue is resolved!!! I don’t know how or why this version of windows 8 doesn’t have the problem my yoga (and every other rotatable tablet pc) does. It must be the support microsoft gives to its own products…I realised that this is a strong pro for the surface line. Kind of like Apple software on a mac….if you have the manufacturer and the Software supplier working together…..everything runs smoother.

Things I love about the SP3 over thinkpad

No Cleartype issue

I actually enjoy the feel of the keyboard (trackpad not so much but it is better than the yoga)

The higher resolution pretty display

The thinness

The kickstand is amazing for drawing

The fact that if the surface needs to be repaired, Microsoft just swap it.

Support from the comuunity (if there was an issue on the yoga…there are less forums for help and less manufacturing of third party asccesspories or cases) Basically less people talking about it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Azzart likes this.
  3. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Will do. At the moment I'm still deciding between buying an MST hub and another charger or the Dock. It seems a bit stupid to me that the dock only has one display port on it.

4. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad to report that after managing to get all the Firmware and Windows updates to install the hurricane noise has gone, and the fan is much better behaved now. I'm a bit surprised Microsoft delivered it like it was, but relieved it was not a hardware issue.

Have also finally had time to move over my development environment now, so will soon get an idea of how good the SP3 is for my work, but initial impressions are good.

5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

This is actually the case with all boxed brand new machines. It's part of Windows initial set up to index and map all system files (the OS doesn't know where all is located in the SSD). This is actually very taxing on machines and you notice it the most on Atom CPU devices. 40-60% CPU usage for initial set up seems about right.

I think I read somewhere someone saying that disabling error logging and reporting makes the machine super quite. I haven't tried it. Don't even know where that setup would be...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Great post! Welcome to the SP3 world.

Jim

7. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well...the other day my SP3 i5 256 froze then went to the blue screen with the " :( " face on it. I shut it down since it didn't shut down itself. I started it back up but I got the SURFACE logo screen with no little twirling dots beneath as is normal before going into Windows. It soon went to a screen (I don't know what it was) that looked like a DOS screen offering several things plus Exit on the screen. None of the options would help with my problem so I exited the screen. Repeated attempt to restart gave me the same result. The error I got with the :( face had to do with possible failure of the SSD. I called MS and they tried to get it to boot into the recovery mode but it wouldn't. They had me download a recovery image and put it on a USB then start up the SP3 from the recovery USB. It booted. I tried repairing, refreshing & resetting - it wouldn't work for any options; said it couldn't find the drive. I've had no problems with my SP3 since I bought it in September.

So, MS is doing an advanced exchange for me so I should see my new machine maybe late this week. Can't wait to do all the updates and then try to find all my software to reinstall - even cool computers are a pain when they go south.

8. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh man, that sucks, but glad that MS is taking care of you - well, as much as they can anyways. Even miracles can't help you avoid Software Re-install & Windows Update Hell.

Do you at least run periodic backups of your data? Hopefully you didn't lose anything important in the death of the SSD...

9. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I've got data backed up on OneDrive and Google Drive, plus my settings etc. are backed up on OneDrive. I'll just have to remember the different software I used and either find it or download it again to reinstall. Going to be a thrill a minute I'm sure. I'm also finding myself dreading the possibility of getting a "lemon" with this replacement SP3. I doubt I will, but I know it's possible. It's a new replacement so that's worth something. They're replacing it no questions. I have the extended warranty, but there was no accidental damage involved so I guess that's why it didn't cost me $50.

After this episode I may look into image software to see how effective it is. I know it would preclude me from having to install anything other than the image so that would be a good thing considering how long it's going to take for me to run all the updates and then reinstall my desktop software.

Does imaging software take a while to make the image? I guess I'm wondering how much time it would take and how often you should do it. Thanks.

10. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Macrium Reflect to make images. Doesn't take too long. The image is compressed, so the image is a reasonable size. I try to create an image once a month.

Good luck, Jim

Telstar1948 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.