Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

One thing regarding the Intel video drivers:

I use the Intel Drivers instead of Microsoft's because with the latter the Intel HD graphics Control Panel desappear and being an illustrator I need to be able to tweak the horrible black levels that Microsoft forces on this display using brightness/contrast/gamma controls (I would also like to have a warmer white point but I'm still fine as it is).

The control panel also allow me to set graphic card to maximum performance and activating this I noticed a definite performance boost in Photoshop while multi touch panning/zooming/rotating.
    The downside is the unit (I have an i3) gets a bit warmer on the upper right corner in normal use and the battery seems to drain faster, but I can't quantify it.

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I do. I've attached a screenshot to give you an idea of my typical workspace.

With a couple of unopened messages, I see about 14 messages in the list view. I normally have about 9 or 10 expanded folders, but I collapsed them in the folder pane so you can see roughly how many you may be able to see at any one time.

I never use Outlook in any resolution or orientation other than landscape and maximized. Occasionally I'll have it in portrait mode while I pull up an email, but I don't use it for more than filtering or searching for a sender/recipient in the search pane.

Hope that helps

Attached Files:

crashnburn likes this.
  3. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Daver. Not what I was expecting :) Let me elaborate.

I run an X61T & T61 both which have 1400 x 1050 LCDs. I am able to see a certain NUMBER of:
    Folder Trees (1st pane)
    E-mails List (2nd Pane)

I was hoping that with a higher res screen 1080p and above.. e.g. UHD/ 4K etc like Surface Pro 3, I might be able to get more stuff to show up in 1st & 2nd pane.
    i.e. Kind of like how a high res screen allows for more Excel Rows & Columns to be visible without scrolling.

Because right now your screenshot shows similar numbers as mine.

Do you think it might be possible for you to show more in 1st & 2nd pane if you change the scaling/ magnification for Native resolution?

Did you get what I am trying to make you do/ get from you?

PS: If not I'll try and go to a Win 8 machine like that and point out. Currently running Win 7.

4. daver

I see, so basically you want to run Outlook without DPI scaling (I am scale at 150% in Windows 8), and zoom in the message body pane to something like 200%.

I'll have to give it a go later tonight. I'm sure it can be fine but that interface items may be a tad too small.

5. daver

So, I was unable to stop Outlook from scaling. I didn't look too hard into it, but using the normal "Disable display scaling on high DPI displays" option didn't work for Outlook 2010. Regardless of that setting, it always shows up as it did in the screenshot I uploaded.

I'm sure there is a way to stop Outlook from showing up as scaled, but I didn't bother researching it further. Sorry!

6. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks. You got what I wanted to see and thanks for trying. Let me see if there is any other way to pull this off. I'll do some research and ask you to try if I find a way :)

7. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question about connecting multiple monitors to my SP3.

Can I connect a 34" UW monitor running at 3440 x 1440, and a 24" monitor running at 1080 x 1920, as well as having the SP3 screen on, with all three screens running as an extended desktop? And can I do it with just a DisplayPort hub, or do I need the Dock?

Is there any advantage of using the Dock over a hub? I currently place my SP3 on a movable monitor arm stand, so I can use it for touch, so the dock wouldn't really work to well for me, unless I attach it to the monitor arm somehow.

Cheers,
    EF

8. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

I was able to connect and use the SP3 display and daisy chaining two Dell P2815Q UHD (3840x2160 at 30hz) monitors through MST through the displayport on surface or the dock and it worked fine.

crashnburn likes this.
  9. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. Is 60hz too much for that configuration then?

crashnburn likes this.
  10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Those monitors are default 30hz. I read on Reddit it was possible to do 50hz on monitors that support it at Full UHD, but you have to hack the Intel drivers.

crashnburn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.