Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What do you use for video?

I use WebEx a lot, so far no problems when using it. Fan kicks in every so often, but not at airplane turbine levels. Just enough to bring down the temps when they reach whatever threshold for "minimum fan" levels.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

How long have you been using it? Typically the first 48-72 hours Windows is indexing and doing other background tasks. Also making sure you have the latest firmware improves as well.

johnchad14 likes this.
  3. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I haven't used it that much yet. But even doing the Windows update, it is next to me making a noise like a hurricane with CPU at 44%.

And I'm a developer, so if this is normal when taxing the CPU then it's unusable in an office for me. I was expecting some fan noise under load, but not a hurricane. Is that normal?

Microsoft support just asked me to do a software restore, but I doubt that will be much to change things as I only installed Firefox and geekbench on it so far. The latter just to test how loud the fan goes at full cpu, compared to when I was video conferencing.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This comes down to personal noise thresholds....I would never describe the SP3 fan has a hurricane, I used the Toshiba Libretto W105 and it was like a Blow Dryer my SP3 isn't even in the same range. I use my SP3 for Lync Conferencing all the time without issue. I have large datasets in Excel. I do all of my IDE work in Azure though....

5. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have never heard my fan get at all loud enough to be disturbing to an office in a quiet setting. Even watching videos and playing games mine has seemed to be exceptionally quiet. Using while plugged in it comes on occasionally, but most of the time my fan is off. OneNote, Outlook, IE, Excel, leaving a dozen apps open...

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

As jnjroach said, give it some time and get the latest firmware. If that's not resolved, you can ask for an exchange. MS store indeed has exceptional customer services.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Good lord, my existence reduced to being a pair of verb opposites...the shame, the shame...

PS - I won't sell my SPro 3 before the SPro 4 announcement - guaranteed :rolleyes:

Kumabjorn and lonaysta like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahhh, being used as a verb, the honor, the honor!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm putting down $10 that he does.

Any else want in? :D

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Not a good bet my friend - BECAUSE - it will be announced well before availability, so there will be plenty of time to send it to eBay heaven BETWEEN announcement and availability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.