Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizlazybug

bizlazybug Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I finally got the flickering to stop by changing the refresh rate to 60hz (up from 48hz) and disabling the Panel Self Refresh option. Wondering if that works for you guys as well?

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's what I did too: changing refresh rate. ;)

bizlazybug likes this.
  3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luft likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Have you checked cpu clock speeds and temps at various load cases and compared your unit's to your girlfriend's? The only things that can conceivably increase the duration and volume of your fan noise are either higher heat levels and/or oversensitive fan switch thermostat. If it's really bothering you perhaps you can specify a use scenario that has your fans going sooner and louder than your gf's and report your average cpu clock speeds and temps and how long the scenario runs before the bad noise kicks in. Then your task is to sweet talk some forum buddies to replicate your scenario and report time to reach loud fan noise and temps and clock speeds at that point and see if your gf got lucky (no remarks, please!) or you keep getting unlucky. And speaking of luck, it just so happens that I don't yet own a SP3 so you will have to recruit other forum buds:rolleyes:. (You might remind those who were early adopters of the Asus AVN8 64GBs got them because you found a hidden link that went away after some handfuls of lucky forum buds got in under the wire using your link ;) )

Or, you may just do better putting background music on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

You didn't include your HP Spectre 13t 3000 in your list of gear.:D

6. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm, now this is interesting. This is pretty much what I've been wanting Microsoft to do.

You can get the 128 GB/4GB variant for $600. I know Microsoft Store does those student discounts whenever they drop these new devices. Anyone know how much those usually are and whether or not Best Buy honors them too. It looks like Best Buy is giving $168 for the SP1 and I'm thinking about going back to grad school in the fall, so this could be a good upgrade.

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

8. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, I guess I'd lose some power going from the i5 in the SP1 to the Atom in the S3, but how much would performance really drop given that its an older i5 vs a brand new Atom. Either way, my needs don't require a huge amount of power. The extra battery power, better screen resolution, and less bulky build are big plusses for me with the S3 over the SP1.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just reporting in that I think I found a solution to my own flickering issue. I had some time to poke around the Intel Preferences panel.

Power > On Battery > Maximum Battery
    Panel Self-Refresh > Disable > Save

Fixed!

I recall someone else posting this as being a fix to a different issue before, so maybe I wasn't thinking about it enough to piece 2 and 2 together.

10. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone on the SP3 here have Outlook 2010? I'd like to see how it looks/ how many emails can be seen at the various Resolutions/ Scaling on the SP3 screen.. for the amazing real estate it has.. I wish it was 13/ 14" for that as well.. they say SP4 will have a larger model?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.