Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

An acute case of destraussing and restraussing if I ever saw one.

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Again, check that it isn't a chrome issue. Try the same video in IE, Firefox Opera, etc.

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Chrome is a fan driving beast I know that lol. For video playing purpose, I almost never use Chrome on my Surface. All those tests were done with IE.

Now after some usage I can confirm this replacement I received behaves normally. It does not have the extra annoying noise like the previous one, and is quite similar to my girlfriend's wrt noise. Fan does not kicks in as soon as the previous one, and is quiet most of the time. That's what I expect on a Surface!
    So far, so good!

4. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

GAAAH! I just had a Microsoft phone tech support person asking me if I had tried to customize my "close L-I-D" settings. It took me 5 minutes to realize she was reading "Close Lid"...

Anyway, to my question: in Power Options>Advanced Settings, all the customizable power plan settings I see as are: Balanced; Desktop background settings; Power buttons lid; Display; Battery. Above, I have the hyperlinked text "Change settings that are currently unavailable" with the Admin icon next to it. But, when I click on that text, nothing new appears in the main box - not Wireless Adapter Settings, USB Settings, Multimedia, etc. From what I've seen online that's NOT normal - can anyone please confirm what they see?

5. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, that is what mine has. I guess MS doesn't want us messing with power options.

Best regards, Jim

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

that's normal because sp3 uses Connected Standby to work like a common tablet and you can't configure power plans with it. ;)

7. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

hawkeye and azzart - thanks for clearing that up.

Next question: has anyone personally experienced/resolved the problem of random shutdown/reboot while the SP3 is sleeping/ in Connected Standby? This specific issue is tied to Critical Error Event ID 41 in the Event Viewer and there are lots of online discussions about it with too many 'solutions' offered for me to decide what to try. One weird thing for me is that it only happens at work AND if I've carried the device to different areas across campus, which makes me think it's tied to the SP3 going online to update and getting confused because it's accessing the same wireless network but through a different wireless router (?) than at last check...?

Any thoughts appreciated!

8. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I've been using my new SP3 and it's nice but the fan noise is unbearable. Disappointing, I may have to return it. I haven't even started doing any development work on it yet. Just video conferencing makes the fan run at full speed. Which is no good on a video conference. And also I can't see how I can be on client site with fan noise like this. Installing latest Windows updates now, to see if it will help anything.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What do you use for video?

I use WebEx a lot, so far no problems when using it. Fan kicks in every so often, but not at airplane turbine levels. Just enough to bring down the temps when they reach whatever threshold for "minimum fan" levels.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

How long have you been using it? Typically the first 48-72 hours Windows is indexing and doing other background tasks. Also making sure you have the latest firmware improves as well.

johnchad14 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.