Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or maybe her fan is broken! LOL

I'd return it if it's that loud.

2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm on my way to my local MS store. However it's long past the return period and SP3 is the best companion. I really doubt if they will do a replacement solely for noise issue, bit I know a little problem that I believe is shared by all Surface Pro 3(at least all 3 owned here) that is likely to get me a replacement...
    BTW, I did check for dust just now and there was surely a lot! Cleared with a needle carefully but the noise is the same...

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Quick Question: Can the i3 version if the Pro 3 output 4k at 60Hz?
    Thanks

4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

How about telling us what that "little problem" is that you believe all Pro 3s have?

Best regards, Jim

5. lonaysta

I did have an interesting experience in MS store today. The little problem I mentioned is in fact posted somewhere in either this or the SP3 problem thread; it's a "dead zone on the digitizer". You can test it yourself: Put the device in portrait mode, Windows Button on the bottom, and open OneNote. Use your pen to write strips from the upper left corner downwards and try to fully paint the upper left zone black by upwards/downwards pen strokes. You'll find a long strip zone around 5cm that can't be written on.
    Last September I found this issue on my first Surface Pro 3 and took it to a MS store (different from today's). They swapped one for me. Later I accidentally found out the second device also had this issue (I was not expecting it so I did not test that issue as soon as I got my replacement). Then my girlfriend's. All! That's when I start to take this as a universal issue of the device. And I thought it is caused by hardware defect of the digitizer. Until today.
    The MS store guy is really smart! He went to test this on a display unit. And guess what? That happened to the display unit as well. He suggested a re-calibration of the pen input. As we did that, we surprisingly found out that the "dead zone" moved rightwards a little bit, and the "dead zone" before can be registered as it should then. Reset calibration data, the dead zone returned to its original position. So that's a software issue rather than a hardware issue, and that is very likely to be shared by all Surface Pro 3 units. If someone's interested, I can make a video and upload it to YouTube.
    Anyway, this no longer can get my device swapped. Getting back to the start point, I want a replacement because of the annoying extra noise. So I went directly with that and played a 1440p YouTube video using Chrome to drive the fan up asap. Even though the store was noisy itself, the staff admitted that the unit was much noisier than it should be and finally gave me a new unit for exchange.
    The last part of the story: I missed the last train back to my home and got stuck in a strange town. Ended up home after two hours than scheduled, walked 7.5 miles daily, and caught cold.
    That's the price.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, not sure I get it: I tried but I can't find anything out of ordinary aside the pen getting a bit disoriented while drawing very close to the left edge of the display.

7. lonaysta

Surface Pro 3? Actually SP3's pen seldom suffer from parallel issue...

8. lonaysta

Update: The noise from fan on the brand new replacement I got today seems to be no less terrible than the previous one; if only not worse.
    Edit 2: Noise reduced after installing all windows update components including firmware update. So firmware does affect this issue...Hope it can be at a good level after all software and configurations set.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed on the firmware, my sp3 was a noisy bastard the first few months then calmed down (around Oct?)

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It seems that I may have made a rash decision selling as soon as I did. I had lust in my eyes and stupidity in my mind... Although the Yoga 11s 'is' a great machine it suffers from horrible screen burn.

Just been trying to find a tablet with 8Gb ram and that's proving difficult. Sony, Acer, Dell, Toshiba = nothing. All 4Gb

Back to the Surface Pro 3 I go. (Sulks and kicks the door while knowing that it's the best you can get)

P.s. Surface Pro 3 arrives and the next day MS announces the 4. NooOooOoooooOoOOOoooo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.