Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Will Microsoft ever understand that we need to be able to tweak the pressure curve by ourselves instead of adding yet other levels of wrong presets?

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got my Pro 3 today. Very impressed so far. Quick question. I See a lot of people here are buying protection for the screen. Why is that important? What kind of glass is it? Maybe not gorilla glass, but surely not some soft easily scratched glass. Best regards, Jim

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Why is that important?..>>

...I'm probably the biggest proponent of "protection," so I'll answer. A screen protector is both protection for life's little accidents and insurance that when it comes time to sell your tablet and move on, you have a chance to get a decent price for it (since screen defects will inordinately impact its resale appeal). Tablet owners have reported screen damage from grit on the pen nib, dropped keys and even cats walking over the screen. The world is perverse, that's why an SP is simply smart thinking.

I've probably tried as many brands and types of SPs as anyone, and my current favorite is the 0.3 mm thick tempered glass SPs made by Incipio, MIME and Microsoft (among others). The glass is much harder than plastic film and very scratch resistant. It will likely last as long as you own your tablet...

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It also adds some texture if you put on an antiglare screen protector and, not so obvious, reduces a lot fingerprints on your screen (damn, my sp3 display was alway dirty as hell before buying a screen protector!)

5. hawkeye62

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know what kind of glass the Pro 3 has? I haven't been able to find anything in the specs.

Thanks, Jim

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Should be Corning Gorilla 3.

7. lonaysta

I finally confirmed that my Surface Pro 3 is much noisier than my Girlfriend's, exact same model, when under same work load. The temperature is also bit higher...This is annoying to me.
    Should I go to my local Microsoft Store and ask for a new one? I do have Complete...

8. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could it be dust build up? But how do you check for that...

9. lonaysta

Dunno if it's dust. But even if it is, I have no way to clean!
    There are two Surface Pro 3 i5/256Gs in my apartment. And it's quite obvious....Mine roars like a beast and my girlfriend's is quite silent when doing similar high load tasks.

10. hawkeye62

Return it!

Regards, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.