Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Um, are you sure about the Surface Pro 4? There's no 4 yet, as far as we know at least, just the Pro 3. Don't forget that your Asus has a lower resolution screen and no touchscreen (I think). In both cases, higher resolution and touch screen panel, they draw additional power. That means if you brought down the Surface Pro 3's resolution down to 1920x1080 and replaced the touchscreen panel with just a passive LCD panel, the SP3 may be getting better battery life in total. How much? Dunno, but logically it should get better battery life overall.

Indeed, there are many tablet PCs out there that are limited by memory. 4GB is enough for workaday casual use. But I personally would prefer 16 GB, but I easily make do with 8GB since this isn't my primary work machine. While I'd love the ability to swap out parts, I also understand the reality of Microsoft finding the compromises to afford the best possible product they can produce for the consumers. To give them thin and light, you must forego any ability to upgrade the internals. In many ways this is also true for ultrabooks, though most of the time the SSD can be upgraded, and RAM is sometimes 50/50.

Rambling is what we DO around here ;) If we didn't, well, these corners of the internet would be miiiiighty quiet

lovelaptops likes this.
  2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah Pro 3, not Pro 4, maybe a wishful slip? My Asus does have a touch screen. I don't think any of the UX303 models available in the US are non touch.

I will probably be OK with 4 GB. I plan to give it a rigorous trial and if I don't like it, or if I think 4 GB is a limit, I will return it to Amazon. If I think it is a keeper, I will probably upgrade to 8 GB, 256 GB by returning to Amazon and re-ordering.

Best regards, Jim

3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Now that Apple and/or Lenovo has revealed a 2 pound laptop (with keyboard), let's see how Microsoft can top that with Surface Pro 4.

Surface Pro 4 needs to be less than 1.4 pound (the cover is 0.6 pound) - an impossible task.

Well done, Apple.

4. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well if they do a core-M fanless version to match the same processing power that sounds entirely doable. I'd buy that, probably.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's still just a laptop, so... yawn. ;)

hawkeye62 likes this.
  6. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not really. The core M isn't exactly the CPU to set the world on fire (The Yoga 3 has a fan as well AFAIK) and you're left with one solitary port for everything. Yes, I know, the Surface Pro also has one but I'd laugh if MS added a second USB port... Booom take that Apple.

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was enjoying the hilarious praise people were giving that new Macbook for only having a single port for everything. One Port To Rule Them All!

Um. Not a great idea. At all. You need to buy accessories to split that one single port into multiple ones to support at minimum a USB device, extended video output, and power. I do not believe merging all 3 into a single port is a good idea. Maybe USB-C for video + USB devices, but not the charging cable. That should always be left separate, even if it is another USB-C port dedicated strictly for charging.

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I was talking about Lenovo LaVie Z laptop that's shown in this CES, a 13in 2 pound touch screen laptop.

I was poking fun at Microsoft Surface event's take on MacBook Air last year. Remember that scale that Microsoft used to compare the weight of Air and SP3?

Competition in the light&thin department is a good thing and a bad thing, depending on how much you value functions vs. portability). I always think you can make lighter laptop than convertibles/hybrids with the exception of the surface line. Now that exception is broken too (unless iPad-keyboard combo counts into laptop)

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Sorry, didn't get it! ;)

anyway I'm not sure if I would like to see a core M Surface pro 4, I suspect it would be particularly less powerful than today.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.