Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

No, i dont know / experience that.
    The only IE-slowdown i know are a much slowe startup by addons as ghostery for the desktop IE11, and long reloads if i go back very very fast & repeated with touch control on UE11 modern.

Does this happen for you in modern/classic/both?

2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Neither. The SP3 is hermetically sealed and if you try to open it, you will break the digitizer. See ifixit guides.

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wait, is it actually hermetically sealed? Or are you talking about the seal between the LCD panel and digitizer?

I don't think the compartment behind the LCD panel is hermetically sealed, it wouldn't make sense to do so. Creating a vacuum like that may make heat dissipation a problem.

Also, to answer the question of the storage being user replaceable, I would say the answer is "no".

In iFixit's teardown, you can see that the SSD is just a mSATA drive. So while you could replace that one component, getting there will probably cause irreparable damage to the unit and is likely not worth the headache.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  4. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

WOW! Shame on MS. I have had about 7 laptops over the last 3 years and all of them have been user serviceable. What does MS do for a warranty repair? What do I do for an after warranty repair?

Best regards, Jim

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This is how the industry is moving, its the same in Ultrabook and just about all tablets. The reason to have closed cases, it allows them to use empty space for batteries rather then needing to create enclosed batteries which need to conform to specific safety standards.

6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

Most modern mobile phones are not serviceable either. This is how you get thin devices with long battery life.

7. hawkeye62

Thanks for the replies! I am all for long battery life, but I haven't seen much with what I call long battery life, >9 hrs. I have seen a lot of thin and light at the expense of battery life and performance.

And what about repairs, both in and out of warranty?

Best regards, Ji m

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The Surface Pro 3 is supposed to last at least 3 years with 80% of its battery capacity in tact. Modern Computing Devices are designed with a 24-36 month life cycle.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For modern tablets, there are no "repairs". When under warranty they basically replace your unit, because the cost to repair something sometimes costs more than just replacing it. Of course behind closed doors they will repair units, but to expedite the process for consumers and to please them, it's usually just a unit replacement.

With regards to battery life, you aren't going to get anything better than 8 - 9 hours right now. The technology is not there yet without Broadwell being mainstream. You forget that this isn't any normal tablet running Android OS or iOS, this is a tablet PC running Windows 8.1 Professional. While the same form factor, vastly different underneath the screen. Don't think of it like an iPad, think of it like a laptop. As a result, there are going to be many more power drawing features, hardware and software, that an iPad or Android won't have. It's just the nature of the current Windows tablet PC environment right now. If battery life is a major concern for you, you may be better suited with a Macbook Air running Windows (assuming you actually need Windows). You'll have compatibility issues, but you'll have better battery life.

10. hawkeye62

Thanks for the reply. I would be very happy with 8 - 9 hours of battery life with my light duty use. Most of the stuff out there now is less than 6 hours. My Asus UX303LA gets a little over 7 hours and it is easy to upgrade RAM and SSD. No thanks to iPad, Macbook or Android. I want and like Windows.

I have only dabbled with tablets so far. My first tablet was a Fujitsu Q702, but I never used it as a tablet, just with the keyboard. My second was a Yoga Tablet 2 8 inch which I just returned because it is just too small for me. It had very long battery life, but was very lacking in RAM, SDD and CPU. That is why the Surface Pro 3 is so interesting. It has all the power of my Asus in tablet form and function.

I guess that is enough rambling. I am anxiously waiting for the Surface Pro 4 I ordered from Amazon which will be delivered late next week. I hope I didn't make a mistake by choosing the 4 GB, 128 GB i5.
    The i5 is plenty of CPU and I can always add 128 GB micro SD, but I am a little worried about 4 GB of RAM.

Best regards, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.