Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

My guess is he got bored. Look at that signature! =P

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I... kind of did get bored! I absolutely love the design of the Yoga and am about to start typing again so thought that I'd give one a shot.

(Don't tell anyone but I already miss the pro 3!)

Mesosphere likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess I forget that other people can go through hardware almost as fast as I do - but I've had my SPro 3 since release, if that counts for "commitment" in a relationship...

Mesosphere likes this.
  4. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I think streaming video using Chrome is more of a cpu task rather than a Gpu task. For me the fan kicks in really quickly, almost as soon as I launch Chrome and browse any website more complex than google.com. browsing multiple tabs (text+pic contents) will soon summon the monster of throttling.
    I have experience with 3 sp3s, i5 256 ver, and the experience wrt throttling is quite consistent-barely acceptable for heavy tasks...

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chrome itself is just poorly produced. Even on my work machine it's horrid. Anytime I need to do some streaming, I just use IE. Although IE doesn't have any meaningful extensions, it's miles better than Chrome with regards to using resources.

6. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thinking of selling my SP3 as well- maybe the rush is on! I am finding I am just not using it as much as I'd like and still don't "enjoy" the pen. It's useful, and accurate, but the Wacom just feels nicer.

I was going to make due with the SP2 my son seems to be leaving idle. Alas- today I dropped the SP2 on it's face at my bedside. Shattered it and me. My Lumia 1520 a couple weeks ago and SP2 now. Sending for MS OOW replacement, hopefully they'll send a shiny one I can sell on ebay.

Asus, Encore Write or Filofax to get me thru. I have never shattered a Filofax....well, *yet* that is.

7. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sheesh- time for bed. After watching another 6 Lisa Gade smackdown reviews, (ones I've already seen), whilst in my Ebay search for set up perfection ideas I almost immediately stumbled across a certain "Asus with two cases" from Midland for sale and thought.....wow- I really have a problem.

I need to practice being happy with what I got...and not dropping them.

8. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Absolutely. However I reached 70C degrees by just openinng this forum page..Only one tab in Chrome. Fan is roaring. Last night I had a chance to compare the fan noise from my unit and my girlfriend's unit, when we were doing similar tasks (several Chrome pages and Office program), and I noticed that hers is quieter than mine (even though fan was in for both). I start to wonder the difference in cooling capacity for each Surface Pro 3 unit; is it possible that my unit is just "inferior" with regard to cooling than average so fan kicks in sooner and throttling starts sooner? As now I am just typing this in Chrome and have AIDA64 Extreme running to monitor the temperature, it shows 65C degrees. I don't have many programs running in the background, and I don't think using a 1440p external display should be a heavy task for SP3.

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you got many extensions? Don't forget that extensions can chew up a buttload of resources without much effort. For example, whenever I hit CNET, my ad blocker goes NUTS. When I'm here, it's nice and tame.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ha ha ha - I resemble that remark! It is a good device (AVN8) BUT I'm just not using it. I have become a one trick pony dedicated to my Surface Pro 3...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.