Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, Chrome's misbehavior regarding CPU speed was fixed a while back, see here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=153139
    There are still many thing wrong with it though, especially when it comes to touch. If IE or Spartan supported Chrome extensions I'd switch in a heartbeat, but alas, it looks like this is not happening.

2. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

Chrome still - in 32 as well as 64bit, in release as in beta-version - still consumes a lot more power than Internet Explorer 11.

Interesting side-effect: browsing on my vaio tap 11 is COMPLETLY silent/fan stays off with IE11, browsing with chrome starts the fans repeated and often.

Also, IE11 seems to be very efficient with weake systems - as example i can switch to my live-long-and-prosper-battry setings - which clocks down the haswell cpu in the vaio tap to 600mhz, and IE11 still is snappy & fast as with full clockspeed, chrome becomes a LOT slower.

3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I currently have two laptops, a Yoga 11s Haswell and an Asus UX303LA. (Yeah, I know this is a tablet forum, but a tablet will be my next purchase. Actually I just ordered a Surface Pro 3 from Amazon.) I never notice any fan noise when I am browsing with Google Chrome. In fact, I rarely have any sound from the fan on either laptop. Sometimes the fan does come on quietly when I am playing with a flight sim game, F18 Carrier Landing, on the Yoga.

Best regards, Jim

Edit: Another observation on my laptops. I have Battery Bar installed on both systems. I haven't noticed any difference in power consumption as reported by Battery Bar between IE and GC. Maybe I am just easy on demands. I have very few extensions and rarely have more than a couple of tabs open.

Jim

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

Hehe, its not chrome which is making noises - its the specific computer if its thermal sensors exceed a specific threshold and the fan is activated :)

Also, chrome is not insanely battery&power -consuming (it was, it had a nasty power drain bug until late 2014, but that one has been fixed) -its rather IE11 in touch mode, which is optimized almost perfectly.

5. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

I hadn't noticed Spotify & Polar Flow set themselves up to autostart in the desktop. Killing both of those made a significant improvement in battery. I also think Evernote desktop sync was using a bit too.

I use mostly OneNote, OneNote 2013 (desktop) ,IE Metro, News, Money, & easily get all day- 8+-9 hours, heavy inking, bright screen.

6. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, as well, Windows 8 is a "tickless" system, so the Chrome bug wasn't very apparent to us. But what is apparent is how poor Chrome becomes when you start using it heavily and regularly. As old and outdated as Opera 12 is, I still use it because unlike Chrome it doesn't choke on content heavy pages. But I've recently moved to Vivaldi. I can't load a single page that has a lot of images without Chrome lagging to wait for the images to load. Just give me the contents and load the images later, darnit!

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I have to say, as much as I like the few chrome extensions I have running, it does drive nuts how my TP10 grinds to a halt as I open a folder of eight pages. I happened gradually enough that I accept it (boiling frog syndrome..) but if it had performed like this when I first switched I probably wouldn't have stayed. They have pledged to improve things, hope they follow through.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Does anyone else have problems with IE just freezing at random times? I've checked for malware, and nothing else seems to bring this behavior (freezing) except for IE 11.

9. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sometimes when I accidentally backswipe to a page it'll freeze... Wish I could just disable that

10. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know if a user can upgrade the SSD? I think I read somewhere that the RAM is soldered.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.