Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info and the link. So, 8.05 hours web browsing with a 42 Wh battery? That computes to an average power consumption of 5.2 watts. I wonder how MS does it? I think my use is fairly light duty, but all laptops I have tried over the last three years have averaged a little less than 7 watts. If that holds for the SP3, I would get 6 hours. That would make it fair to poor battery life by my standards. My main laptop at the moment is an Asus UX303LA, which has a 50 Wh battery. I get a little over 7 hours of life.

I am waffling about a SP3 purchase. A few days ago, I was getting serious, now I have cooled off.

Best regards, Jim

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Before I was only getting about 6 hours on a charge, but that was because I was using Chrome with a ton of extensions, etc. As well, Chrome is notorious for keeping the Windows clock busy beyond belief, and is actually using more processing cycles than it needs.

After switching to IE for most of my primary web use (when I'm not testing an app or website under development), I am finding that I can go a full work day, on and off (InstantOn, that is) and still have about 30% battery left when I get home. If I had to guess, I would say that 8.5 hours is perfectly do able with the SP3 with the right combination of screen brightness, background tasks and programs, and whatever your foreground application is doing. I've moved almost all of my dev work off to my work desktop, so I just remote desktop into it. Everything else like Visual Studio, git, etc. I keep on my desktop now.I only run a VM or Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator when I really need to. I don't even bother with Lightroom since the screen is so small (and I have a 24" and 30" in my office, so why bother?).

Don't forget that screen resolution also plays a big role in how much work the onboard GPU has to do. Yes, the GPU in the Haswells are plenty powerful and don't break a sweat under normal usage, but driving 2160x1440 is a lot more than driving 1920x1080: that's as much as 50% more pixels to potentially drive (assuming you are indeed running everything at native resolution, etc.)

Many little things add up to attribute to good/bad battery life. I'm not saying 8 hours is great: look at the Macbook Airs, 10+ hours without breaking a sweat. But the SP3 is as it is: 8 hours is their "take it or leave it" mark, I guess.

4. hawkeye62

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I would be very happy with 8 hrs on light duty. I have read about Chrome's high power consumption in the past. But when I compare CPU utilization in Task Manger, I don't see any difference between IE and GC. I guess I will have to give IE a longer trial. One of the things I like about Chrome is that my bookmarks are synchronized across all of my PCs. That feature would be hard to give up.

Regards, Jim

5. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've noticed chrome drain for sure. I'm in the same boat for bookmarks... My workaround is having work bookmarks in IE which cover most uses on SP and I'll bust out chrome temporarily if non work stuff.

6. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

i can fully confirm: chrome is much less efficient than internet explorer.

actually browsing with ie11 on my vaio tap 11 is completly silent, chrone however makes the fan spin often...

7. hawkeye62

So, you leave Chrome installed on SF, but you use IE most of the time? Sounds like a plan.

Thanks, Jim

8. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

i have chrome, ffox, ie and vivaldi installed as browsers - ie 11 modern used most (fastest + most efficient + lowest battery drain), chrome with full addons as reserve if a wensite has problems.

vivaldi simply to see how it evolves, and ff as completly hardened pure privacy&secured platform (which i need for work sometimes)

9. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chrome's offense is less noticeable when there are few tabs open. However, when you have say 10+ tabs open at once, you can sometimes see that each tab itself is using only 1-4%... but do the math, if each tab were using as much as 3%, then that still adds up to 30% or more total CPU usage. That's quite a bit for a modern machine.

If just perusing a couple of pages, Chrome is just fine. But when you have multiple web apps that must be kept open in the background, intranets, bug tracking, ticket tracking, enterprise wikis, webmails, those cycles start to add up very quickly. There was one point where something caused Chrome to hog as much as 80% of my overall CPU because I had something like 30+ tabs open and an extension was trying to update itself (thus update all the tabs simultaneously). My fault that it happened in the first place, but still not something you want to hear coming out of your tablet PC. I'm surprised at just how loud that little fan can get at 100% full power.

RE: bookmarks,
    At least when under Win8, IE bookmarks are synced with your Microsoft account. (Google's take on it is better, since it syncs across browsers, not OS's). So any IE browser on Windows 8 on any Windows 8 machine in which you are logged in with your Microsoft account will have the same bookmarks. It's just not very convenient for people like myself who have computers on both Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu 12/13/14, and Mac OS X. My personal analogy lately has been Chrome == Convenience, IE == Indispensable.

10. hawkeye62

Thanks for the additional insight!

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.