Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess I forget that other people can go through hardware almost as fast as I do - but I've had my SPro 3 since release, if that counts for "commitment" in a relationship...

Mesosphere likes this.
  2. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

I think streaming video using Chrome is more of a cpu task rather than a Gpu task. For me the fan kicks in really quickly, almost as soon as I launch Chrome and browse any website more complex than google.com. browsing multiple tabs (text+pic contents) will soon summon the monster of throttling.
    I have experience with 3 sp3s, i5 256 ver, and the experience wrt throttling is quite consistent-barely acceptable for heavy tasks...

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Chrome itself is just poorly produced. Even on my work machine it's horrid. Anytime I need to do some streaming, I just use IE. Although IE doesn't have any meaningful extensions, it's miles better than Chrome with regards to using resources.

4. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thinking of selling my SP3 as well- maybe the rush is on! I am finding I am just not using it as much as I'd like and still don't "enjoy" the pen. It's useful, and accurate, but the Wacom just feels nicer.

I was going to make due with the SP2 my son seems to be leaving idle. Alas- today I dropped the SP2 on it's face at my bedside. Shattered it and me. My Lumia 1520 a couple weeks ago and SP2 now. Sending for MS OOW replacement, hopefully they'll send a shiny one I can sell on ebay.

Asus, Encore Write or Filofax to get me thru. I have never shattered a Filofax....well, *yet* that is.

5. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sheesh- time for bed. After watching another 6 Lisa Gade smackdown reviews, (ones I've already seen), whilst in my Ebay search for set up perfection ideas I almost immediately stumbled across a certain "Asus with two cases" from Midland for sale and thought.....wow- I really have a problem.

I need to practice being happy with what I got...and not dropping them.

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Absolutely. However I reached 70C degrees by just openinng this forum page..Only one tab in Chrome. Fan is roaring. Last night I had a chance to compare the fan noise from my unit and my girlfriend's unit, when we were doing similar tasks (several Chrome pages and Office program), and I noticed that hers is quieter than mine (even though fan was in for both). I start to wonder the difference in cooling capacity for each Surface Pro 3 unit; is it possible that my unit is just "inferior" with regard to cooling than average so fan kicks in sooner and throttling starts sooner? As now I am just typing this in Chrome and have AIDA64 Extreme running to monitor the temperature, it shows 65C degrees. I don't have many programs running in the background, and I don't think using a 1440p external display should be a heavy task for SP3.

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you got many extensions? Don't forget that extensions can chew up a buttload of resources without much effort. For example, whenever I hit CNET, my ad blocker goes NUTS. When I'm here, it's nice and tame.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ha ha ha - I resemble that remark! It is a good device (AVN8) BUT I'm just not using it. I have become a one trick pony dedicated to my Surface Pro 3...

9. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, thanks for the info. I was planning to switch from Firefox to Chrome, since Firefox is such a memory hog. I'll forget that then, and see if IE touch is any good.

10. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I suppose this question has been answered before, but save me looking through 177 pages of posts.
    Does anyone know the battery capacity in watt hours?

Thanks for any insight, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.