Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Recent VAIOS (Duo 13 and afterwards) uses Duo Sense 2, which is vastly superior to Duo Sense 1 in TPT and Duo 11, with double the temporal refresh rate and better pen pressure sensor.

Sony BTW never had a Wacom equipped mobile device AFAIK. They had a desktop with Wacom (Slimtop models) back in 2001, which was based on UD-500. I had one. It was Pentium 3 and terribad...

bloodycape likes this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm also one of the artists thrilled by 3:2 and the bump in size and res but horrified and bummed that they down-graded to Ntrig.

Is there any evidence or talk of whether Microsoft customized the Ntrig digitizer for the Surface Pro? Giving it a chance to beat Duo Sense 2?? As much as DuoSense 2 is an improvement over previous versions of Ntrig, the Duo 13 still vectors on quick strokes (just the beginning of a stroke) has horrible hover lag and inaccuracy, and draws jittery slow lines. Of course the lack of compatibility with Flash, Zbrush, Painter and more will remain until vendors switch to windows ink, and N-trig doesn't seem interested in giving us customize-able buttons, which seems ludicrous to me considering how functional and simple of a change this would be to people.

I really really like the direction SP3 took I just wish it was Wacom or their own tech that was better than Ntrig. May be fine for notetakers or casual artists, but I still can't animate in Flash with Ntrig, so I can't even consider the SP3 for my uses.

<<...Is there any evidence or talk of whether Microsoft customized the Ntrig digitizer for the Surface Pro?..>>

Steve S Comments: The driver is architected differently than N-trig legacy drivers. That alone is reason to be optimistic about the potential performance of the Pro 3 pen...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    demandarin likes this.
  3. Shogmaster

Wacom wouldn't have made SP3 possible as is:

1. No Wacom Feel IT boards are 3:2. Only 16:9 or 16:10. They would have to cut a new custom board, which Wacom hasn't done for an ODM ever.

2. N-Trig helps to make the tablet thinner.

One of the reasons bigger and fatter Wacom Tablet PCs work better than thinner ones is that they can use thicker and better sensor board. I think one of the reasons why Surface Pro 1 and 2 was thicker than most people would have liked is because of the extra depth needed for the sensor board layer below the LCD. N-Trig does not use extra sensor board, but just uses the projected capacitive touch layer for X/Y coordinate.

3. Wacom DID NOT want bigger Surface to have Wacom in it.

Recently Wacom has "requested" MS that they do not advertise Surface Pro 1 and 2 having Wacom tech. Indeed when you go to MS Store, now they will avoid telling you that they have Wacom pen in it..

This is because Wacom does not want Surface Pro from further eating into Cintiq Companion sales, which is not as good as they hoped (hence the price drop). The Pro 1 and 2 was eating into it bad enough at 10". At 12", this would be a disaster, so no more Wacom inside.

dstrauss, Koryand'R and demandarin like this.
  4. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

So, even though it's been "optimized" for Photoshop CC, N-trig still doesn't work properly on programs like Flash?

I was going to pull the trigger on buying this but the n-trig/wacom issue is really giving me pause. Fortunately, a friend who's more adventurous than I bought it so I'll have to get his thoughts.

5. Shogmaster

There is a 64bit N-Trig Wintab driver now. Flash "should" work, no?

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I was told by the Surface Team that the Power Cover will indeed work on the Surface Pro 3....

demandarin likes this.
  7. vlad0

vlad0 Pen Pal - Newbie

that fan

[​IMG]

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've seen comments on the internet comparing it to this too:

[​IMG]

Mesosphere and demandarin like this.
  9. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, Note Pro is Wacom, right? Similar size to SP3. Wacom not worried about that device eating into Cintiq sales? Just want to make sure that it is pointless to wait for a Note Pro Windows version.

(BTW, Valley Fair mall San jose. No demo unit. Will get it close to the release date June 20th per the phone sales girl.)

Thanks!

demandarin likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So THAT's how Panos transforms into the energizer bunny...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.