Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the states? The United states? I can tether for free, this is on AT&T. I'm pretty sure you can on T mobile and Sprint as well. I pay about $100/month for 2 lines with unlimited talk/text and 10gb of data, it's pretty cheap for me when I factor in that it's 2 lines plus I tether my tablet to it and my wifes ipad. You can even get cheaper if you go with the GoPhone prepaid plan which allows you to tether as well for free.

@dstrauss I used to think like that, but with a widget for one touch toggling of my hotspot it's mere seconds to connect my tablet. If I know I'll be on and off I just leave it connected to the hotspot anyhow, it doesn't burn that much more battery. I don't mind so much paying the premium, but waiting 3+ months before a LTE version is released just kills me.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    soh5 likes this.
  2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

This is exactly what I do. I tether, Im on ATT and have 10GB/mo.

Its quite convenient considering I dont need LTE often (theres really good WiFi connectivity here on campus). What I am more annoyed about with the SP3 is they tout the LAPTOP like experience, I just wish they made a keyboard dock that was like the TPT10's ultrabook version.

3. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

You're right - it seems like the FCC stepped in with regards to restrictive tethering.

4. markj

markj Pen Pal - Newbie

The Thinkpad 10 dock isn't that good since the angle is fixed, but a proper keyboard dock with maybe battery to offset the weight would be a very nice acessory. Maybe there will be some aftermaket ones.

5. gedumer

gedumer Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not talking about a hinged design. Take a look at the Thinkpad 10 Ultrabook keyboard. It simply has a magnetic groove at the back of the keyboard. The TP 10 slips into the groove and is held in place by the magnets. A simple and elegant design. Obviously, the TP 10 does not flip over backward even though it is a full blown tablet. Since the SP3 also uses magnets to attach the typecover, it should work the same way. The weight that everyone is concerned with is in the tablet alone... not necessarily the keyboard. The SP3 itself would still be light and completely acceptable as a true tablet. The keyboard would add a bit of weight to the laptop configuration only... but it would sure make it a better laptop.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From your link:

Pen Accuracy and Line Precision

The Surface Pen experience in Photoshop is even more accurate than in Surface Pro 2. The strokes feel natural because the device and software are so responsive, made even better because Photoshop is doing higher frequency sampling so the line is the line you intended to draw.​

That's nice and all, except in the demo at 34:00, you can clearly see the input lag. Granted, it's still in development, but the fact that Adobe couldn't demonstrate this key reason for the switch to N-trig (for artists especially), doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Also nobody is talking about the lack of pen button programmability. I mean, just having an 'undo' button makes a huge difference when sketching. The bluetooth enabled connected standby features are nice, but it's definitely not worth losing the ability to map the pen buttons.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

It is obvious that the built in LTE vs Mobile tethering is a trade off between convenience and $$$. Everybody has his or her own preference, and I think ppl are simply asking manufacturers to give them the opportunity to choose, nothing else.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you watched the live webcast I'm sure you, just like me, enjoyed the little stunt with the scale and the MacBook. But let's be clear about one thing right here, right now. Tim Cook et concortes is sitting in One Infinity Loop right now figuring out how to get their comeuppance. This is the scenario I expect.

TC: Welcome to the release of our new iPad Helium. On this scale I have the Surface Pro 3. Now what do you think will happen when I lay down the iPad Helium on the other side of the scale? I'll tell you what will happen; Nothing! (Lays down the iPad and nothing happens) So we thought could we make nothing happen if we laid another iPad Helium on top of it (second iPad, still no reaction) and yes we could. But surely you say it would be impossible to lay down a third iPad Helium and have nothing happen? And you'd be right (lays down a third iPad, the scale starts to quiver), but we need to find balance in this universe (takes out an iPad Mini from his back pocket, lays it on top and voila, parity). So there you have it ladies and gentlemen, 3 iPad Helium and a Mini to get equivalency.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

justpick1 likes this.
  9. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is that the keyboard dock that doesn't swivel? I think that's an awful design IMO. I do think the surface needs a real swiveling keyboard dock, but I think it would be too heavy and clunky for the svelte concept they are going for. It should be an extra add on, but it would just give the competition something to cry about.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I know they went N-trig, but at some point(in previous decade) there was a Sony device with Wacom. But, based on everything I have seen and demoed the new N-Trig Sony models are better than what the TPT uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.