Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

Thanks for the replies guys. I played with a Surface Pro 3 in Best Buy a few months ago, and I honestly liked it. Granted, it was only for like 15 minutes, so it is impossible to tell how it would fare long-term, but I actually liked the weight and feel of the pen, although the tip was extremely ratty on that particular demo model. I may just end up giving one a shot and see how I like it. I am usually a "Wacom guy", but with all of the issues they have had with the Cintiq Companion, I just can't see myself buying one right now.

Thanks again.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just stock drivers, and still happening after the firmware upgrade this week. Today had two problems - first it started vectoring (where you get stray marks and squiggles on letters) then it quit writing - again right in the middle of a conference with a client. After got back to my office and rebooted it started writing again. I have TWO pens, so I know it's not just the pen. Was on chat with Surface Support for about an hour this afternoon (those folks are GREAT and try hard to be helpful - none of this "is it plugged in" crap), and they are studying it again - may be another replacement issued.

Still, I will never give up, never surrender! The SPro 3 is about as close to perfect as any computer I've owned in 24 years of laptop use. It's just frustrating to have these issues, especially the WiFi shut downs (especially after sleep cycles).

3. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

I should have been more precise and said, the pen does not have a magnet so it does not stick strongly / reliably to anything :)

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Could it be the battery?

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah you are right. I just tested my pen to the type cover's connecting part, and the pen does attach to that part magnetically as well. I think it is okay to call the type cover is "strongly/reliably" attached to the Surface Pro 3, as both the type cover and the tablet has magnet on the connecting part...However there is some kind of metal that responds to magnetic force in the Surface Pen, so the pen can also be attached magnetically, though not as firm.....

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have this VERY same problem.
    The pen will cut out when in the middle of something.
    Almost like a memory shortage...recall the DOS days if you had
    too much going on....
    Sometimes even a reboot will not get it back.
    If I let it set for a while, then all the sudden the pen starts to
    work again.
    Then for several days in a row, no problems.
    Then back to frustration and cursing!

I even bought the new Hp x2 612 w/ the Wacom pen
    because I have become so frustrated with my Surface 3.

I like the Surface, but HATE the NTrig!!!!!

7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

MIKE - don't think so - happens the same with both pens, and randomly. Tech support didn't think so either.

SAM - sounds exactly like mine, and the recent vectoring really brought back the bad old days of N-Trig on the HP Slate 500 - arghhhhhhhhhhhh....

UPDATE - Microsoft has authorized another i5 replacement, but I'd like to hear from others as to whether these kinds of problems with the i7 version?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'd like to hear from others as to whether these kinds of problems with the i7 version?..>>

...I have an i7, but like jnj and daver, I have not experienced any recurring problems with inking...

9. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

I reinterate what Steve said. No issues with the pen.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You are jinxed! I feel for you, don't think I have ever encountered anyone with constant tech problems like yours. It is like you lived between a nuclear plant and a big ass transformer.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Bronsky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.