Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My biggest worry is that the pen for the Surface Pro 3 uses Bluetooth...>>

...The Pro 3 pen only uses Bluetooth for the OneNote "wake-up" function; not for actual inking. Inking is accomplished with N-trig's digitizer, which the Pro 3's battery is sized to handle.

<<...I'm also worried about the accuracy of the pen when compared to Wacom products...>>

...The pen accuracy is fine. You need to do a bit more reading of the discussion threads by our artist members, and at surfaceproartist's website (of the same name). The most significant issue, IMO, is that the N-trig pen behaves a bit differently than the Wacom pen, and many users don't like that. Given how long Wacom has been producing pens & digitizers, the behavior of their pen has become a sort of de facto standard. N-trig's "sin," in some user's eyes, is that the N-trig pen does not behave identically the same.

N-trig still suffers from a couple of puzzling operational consistency problems (like the occasional late-to-start stroke), and users don't like that either, but I think that some users find the pen acceptable in art applications. In any event, the artists here should have the final word, and they've written a lot. Take the time to go read it; that's why it's there!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I keep being plagued with it just stopping writing in OneNote - I may be writing notes for 10-20 minutes during a meeting and then all of a sudden it quits and you can bang the screen in frustration but it won't come back on until you restart the tablet. And this occurs with both pens and the previous and this replacement SPro3.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I can honestly say outside of a Digitizer Driver crash with the first build of Windows 10, this has never happened to me and I still ink 8-10 hours a day. Are you using the enhanced N-Trig WINTAB Driver or the stock driver? I'm using the stock driver personally.

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same here, in using the stock driver and only inking maybe 1-3 hours a workday. Never had a crash before, never had it suddenly stop either...

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

IMG_20141120_142646.jpg

Quick question: Do you guys temporarily store your pen magnetically attached to the charging port like above? Is is designed to work like this? I know many put it in the pen loop or attach it magnetically to the docking station (as I do), but I find this quite convenient, though not quite stable. On Surface Pro 2's pen's manual you can read something like "attach it to the charging port while not in use", but that line of description is no longer there in Surface Pro 3 pen's manual. Also, every time I attach it there, I hear a small sound like something got activated.
    PS, please ignore the poor image quality of my phone's camera...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

The SP3 pen does not have any magnet, so it cannot stick to anything.

You can buy some small magnet and glue them to the pen to recreate that possibility.

However, the only places that the magnet will stick to are: The power port, the +/- Volume buttons and the Keyboard attachment area.
    So you cant store the pen magnetically if you are using these.

7. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I do that occasionally when carrying the tablet 'naked', since I never bought a case or typecover. But I don't think of it as safe/reliable, and I'm pretty sure it's not a carrying option Microsoft recommends or intended. It's just a fluke that the charging port and typecover port are magnetic for other purposes but happen to (sort of) attract the pen's battery. But it's definitely not a safe way to transport the pen - in my experience, the slightest tap or shake will send the pen flying.

8. lonaysta

As shown in the picture the pen is magnetically attached to the charging port...

Yeah I also only do that when the tablet is "naked". I have a type cover, and a sleeve with pen slot, and a docking station. However, in the situations such as reading on bed, putting pen there is quite convenient and I won't need to look for the pen elsewhere.. It's quite loosely attached and surely not a travel option, but for short-time indoor storage it seems to be okay. I just don't know if it's designed like this or it is available just by accident...And, if it will harm the charging port or the pen in any ways..

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I use the magnets for the cover when in portrait mode to dock the pen occasionally...

lonaysta likes this.
  10. lonaysta

new skill learned!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.