Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I agree it is poorly worded, it is listed as detachable keyboard not as an additional accessory....The only justification for the statement is it prevents it (as a cover) from accidentally powering on....

upload_2014-11-18_6-49-9.png

2. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's possible that they may be trying to indicate that the backlighting uses less power than a standard laptop's backlit keyboard? For example, pretend the Type Cover backlight uses only 0.1W vs a standard keyboard backlight using 0.2W?

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Received a over 700MB non-firmware Windows update on my Surface Pro 3....What is it..

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It looks like a Roll-up...

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gah, looks like I still can't install updates. Definitely something funky with my Windows Image. Guess it's time for a reformat. Er, I mean Reset.

It's so tough calling it a Reset/Refresh when for the past 15 years I've been calling it a reformat... old habits die hard?

For those curious, this is the big 700MB+ update:
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah you're right...I was kind of shocked at first...And I thought the "upcoming" Surface firmware update would be available today...However it is really "upcoming"..

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

That update failed to install and broke the Connection on my dock's mini-DP, now I only have two, rather than Three external monitors. How do I do a rollback?

8. Illustrator76

Illustrator76 I Draw Pictures

After the pen preferences/calibration update, what are everyone's feelings on the Surface Pro 3 as an artist's tablet? It's thinner and lighter than a Cintiq Companion and the Surface Pro 3 doesn't have major charging defects/issues either. My biggest worry is that the pen for the Surface Pro 3 uses Bluetooth, which I fear will drain the Surface Pro 3 battery fairly quickly. I'm also worried about the accuracy of the pen when compared to Wacom products.

Any feedback provided would be awesome.

Thanks!

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The bluetooth in the pen is only for the cap button which activates OneNote. Otherwise, it sits idle all day. The battery for this is a standalone watch-type battery so I don't think you have much to worry about there. And of course, you could always turn off the bluetooth antenna if you're worried about it draining your SP3 battery.

On the art front, I still insist it's a toss up. You gain much greater accuracy with N-Trig, but I miss the pressure range. There's something about drawing on my Wacom devices that just feels more natural. If I'd never owned a Wacom or Huion device, I might not even notice. Try to play with one; it's the only way to know for sure if it will work for you.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The pen doesn't suck any juice from the device. Obviously you need to run Bluetooth, but a lot of us also have mice and keyboards connected so it runs anyway. It is only the top button that uses Bluetooth and you probably only use it when you require a new note.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.