Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Steve. After reading your take on the new nib's feel, and reading daver's post above, I think I'll try following his lead and stick with the current nib. I like the feel and don't use it tons, so it should last me a while. But I presume that pretty soon all replacement nibs will be this harder version too... Guess I better enjoy the 'bite' while I have it!

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...But I presume that pretty soon all replacement nibs will be this harder version too...>>

...Maybe, maybe not. Microsoft originally claimed that they would offer more than one nib type for the Surface Pro. The only problem with the original nib is that it wore down quickly; but if replacements were readily accessible, that not a problem. It's just a potential inconvenience.

Assuming that Microsoft follows through, and offers a more durable nib for those who would prefer it, I don't see why they wouldn't keep the softer nib, too...

As always, time will tell...!

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know that this isn't specific to the SP3, but I thought I'd start here before moving on to the Windows 8 forum.

I can't install several updates that are listed in my Windows Update queue:
    KB3003057
    KB2995388
    KB3008627

Installation always fails, with the "We couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes" message. Though I beleive it to be snake oil, I've also disabled Secure Boot just in case it was that (it wasn't).

Matter of fact, these have been sitting in my queue for a while and could never update. Previous update sets failed, some of them went through this batch. Even trying to install them individually fails. Any one else have trouble with these particular updates?

4. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried resetting Windows Update? Reboot Windows, then rush up to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all files there. Be quick (in 15-30 seconds), before the services (Windows Update, etc) start up and using those files.

Then you can try checking for the updates again. Sometimes the failure is simply because the updates are already installed. This happened with the October firmware update on my SP3. All firmware version in Device Manager matches the update log, yet WU kept trying to install the firmware update.

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I already tried doing that, but in a different method. I used the method for resetting the Windows Update components as recommended by MS Support (but got lazy and just used the batch file #2 from here).

Using the MS Automatic repair tool for Windows Update also said it fixed the issue, but it keeps reporting the same error and same fix each time I run it. I think it might be a corruption in the system itself, not just the WU service and files.

6. ptrkhh

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

That is just the Type Cover for the SP3...

8. ptrkhh

How could an ordinary Type Cover extend my battery life?

9. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Compared to a USB wired keyboard?

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PLEASE let there be a battery cover!

I'd implode if MS released a photography cover... multiple slots for SD cards and a touch keyboard geared to editing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.