Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You can't use those with your $10 per month tablet add-on price if you have a family share plan.

Yes, you can tether, and I do (and will continue to do so), but once you've used the simplicity of just turning it on and connecting instantly, you'll regret not having the LTE - PLUS - it doesn't drain your phone battery...

2. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

Our options are pretty limited in the states - we have to pay extra to have the official privilege to tether, and cellular bandwidth is not cheap either. Then again, "not cheap" to me in the states may be cheap for you. For instance, 10 GB from Verizon is $100 a month. I'm cheap - I pay $30 for 500 MB.

Instead, if I had LTE support on non-cellular devices, it costs $30 for 4GB a month - $60 for 10GB.

3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Wonder why they dropped the Pro from the Pens. Now its just Surface Pen? Maybe a hint at the future Surface tablets having pen input?

ATT's new plans all include tethering at no extra charge. I think the other carriers are the same for their newer plans? From what I can tell Verizon includes the Personal Hotspot in their plans (More Everything plans) as well at no extra charge.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    dceggert and czm2000 like this.
  4. NUHP1

NUHP1 Pen Pal - Newbie

SP3 with ntrig I'm going to have to wait and see. Nothing like an in store road test to settle my concerns.

I haven't used ntrig since last decade with the Sony Vaio from 2000 and a gateway convertible tablet from 2004. Still using my HP TM2 but it needs to replaced and upgraded.

5. vlad0

vlad0 Pen Pal - Newbie

It drains the battery on your phone like crazy and its at least extra two steps.. first you have to turn it on on your phone, then connect from the Surface. It will be much better if you can just unlock the device and open your e-mail.. a more pleasant experience for sure. My Nokia 2520 has it and once you get used to it, you realize how much better it is compared to using your smartphone.. which is what I've been doing since '08

Its probably a chipset issue, but they could still add an extra LTE chip on the board if they wanted..

What was the problem with the Surface 2 ? The first batch didn't have it, and then they added it... was it Nvidia's fault ?

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think those last decade Sony's were Wacom(at least that was all the talk when rumors of a pen enabled Sony tablet was coming out, which turned out to be the Duo 11).

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They were N-Trig. I had one a Duo 11.

Sent from my GS4

8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Regardless of how good the N-Trig tech is now, I find it super annoying that my N-Trig Digitizer pen has to be literally 2-3mm away from the screen otherwise my palm will register stray marks.

Its not a knock on N-Trig, its just the way it is over WACOM. Thats one of the things I have come to appreciate WACOM for.

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a good point. I totally forgot about that little annoyance. I wonder if it will be any better on the SP3...

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Why, I'm glad you asked. Below is my guesstimate of how things would look if the OSK aspect ratio is fixed in Win8 (is it?). As expected, the new aspect ratio leaves a lot more room for the actual document. Anyone considering getting an SP3 without type cover?

screen-size-sp2-sp3-mockup.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.