Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alikocholo

alikocholo Pen Pal - Newbie

i received my new surface pro 3
    1- which update i must install and which one won't install ?
    please help me , i have esterase too much

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless you are having specific issues, I would say let the tablet update itself on its own.

3. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, what Scrambler said.

Typing 'WUAPP' From the start screen and that will bring up the Windows Update screen which will show the available updates. Select and install. Rinse and Repeat until you have all the updates (I have 102 installed)

In addition, you may want to update the video driver as per alextrela182 post above.

If you plan to use the pen for drawing, then the Surface Hub app from the MS app store would be useful as well (adjusts the pressure curve).

alikocholo likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just my two cents - but having been burned by two different firmware upgrades when allowing all updates, I've gone to "tell me and I'll decide" and I usually hold off on firmware updates a couple of days to see if others crash and burn.

5. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Wise man. "We fix this by destroying that."-Microsoft.

6. alikocholo

alikocholo Pen Pal - Newbie

hello dear,sorry my english isnot good
    i get new update :"system frimware update-10/6/2014 --15.8mb"
    do u recommend install this update ?
    i fear get heat and noisy fan problem

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In general you should always install the System Firmware updates. Sometimes they'll "break" something, but most of the time it fixes an issue or updates something deep down in the system to improve it. If a System Firmware update fails or causes any issues, you can use System Restore to rollback to a previous state.

I'm actually kind of curious about this. I'm not concerned about the performance increase, but rather interested if using the latest Intel driver would reduce overall temperatures when doing something GPU intensive. For example, I love playing minesweeper, but damned if the Minesweeper MUI app doesn't use the GPU like I'm trying to play Shadow of Mordor. I wonder just how much the proper Intel driver would allow me to "reduce" my GPU usage when setting the config to Max Battery Life.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I was going to bite my tongue, but then just couldn't help myself - with Microsoft's checkered history on recent firmware updates, unless you are CERTAIN that you have a specific problem that desperately requires a firmware upgrade, I would never install a firmware update day one. There is no harm in waiting a couple of days rather than relying on being able to use System Restore to hopefully "undo" the damage they do.

9. Barstuck

Barstuck Pen Pal - Newbie

You do raise a good point. I haven't run into any problems (at least, none that I noticed), but not all have been so lucky. Though, sometimes I do wait a day or three after a release to see what others experience.

Regarding Daver's comment: I can't speak for Minesweeper, but Solitaire or Jigsaw app does push the Cpu/Gpu almost as hard as Skyrim at medium settings. And that is with the updated Intel driver.

10. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's always YMMV. I've never had any problems with Firmware updates on day 1. There are some inherent issues with Windows 8/8.1, yes, but the Firmware updates aren't exacerbating them or causing any new or undue problems for me. Worst case scenario, it's a 2-5 minute affair to rollback, assuming you haven't gone and installed several gigabytes worth of new software.

Software is software, it's not intended to break or ruin your machine. Sometimes an extraneous issue comes up when the software is being updated, and that causes problems for some people. But for most of the others, there's usually no problems once it's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.