Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

So today i went to the local media market to try out the Surface Pro 3 that was just released here, and after 15 min of drawing on it i thoroughly disappointed left the store. I sincerly hope it was just a faulty device.
    I had to press really hard to get any line registered in freshpaint, so hard that i got visible flex and image distortion around the pen tip and i was afraid of breaking either the pen tip or the screen. With just 15min of use already my wrist started to hurt and i frequently have 12h+ work days of drawing on a Cintiq 24hdt with only short breaks in between.
    Another customer watched me trying to sketch passerbys and we started to chat with the media market employee who mentioned that they had set up the SP3 just a few hours earlier and i was the first to inquire about the pen (they keep it locked away). So the device was pretty much fresh out of the box.
    Touch though worked absolutely fine.

The size for me seemed okish for sketching, for serious work I'd still prefer a device that's about 3-6cm larger. The weight was suprising, it felt much lighter than i expected. Because of the light weight and thinness i would prefer the SP3 over the Asus EP121 (which is the only Tablet PC i currently own and still get to hold in my hands every now and then), but because of the abysmal drawing experience and because i don't need another tablet pc just for sketching, i wont buy a SP3.

I'll be visiting another store later this week that unfortunately didn't have the SP3 on display yet even though they sold it, to check if it indeed was a faulty device.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. hughlle

hughlle Pen Pal - Newbie

I am currently battling this issue myself. Only got it today, but in freshaint it is near impossible to even draw a linen without fear of putting the pen through the screen, yet fingers work absolutely fine. Going to install all updates and see if anything changes. I also recall something about ntrig wintab drivers.

Edit. Updating has sorted out fresh paint. Its now usable. Screenshots with pen also work. I guess some floor models simply are not being updated, which is very silly given the issues the updates fix.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    steven likes this.
  3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well...

The i7 version, 512GB, has arrived here and it's staying in the box until after the firmware fix hits. The i5, 256GB model, is still doing just fine anyway :)

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not just that, but most of the time the demo unit's pens can be damaged in some ways too. When I originally went to the Microsoft Store to try out the SP3, the pen's nib was damaged - shaved down to a millimeter of plastic sticking out from the body. The staff had to go in to the back of the store to bring out a replacement pen just so that the demo unit could be tested.

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Question for you, or anyone else... Is there a way to get the stock windows battery icon to simply display a percentage like say iOS? I'd be more than happy with just a small little percentage indicator and nothing else. Not only into the taskbar, but I'd LOVE a percentage numerical display in the charms bar as well. Anyone?

6. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the i5 128. On mine using Fresh Paint is effortless. Able to draw with almost no pressure at all. Must have been a faulty unit.

** Please people, before evaluating your new SP3, do all updates.

tonyz3 likes this.
  7. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe https://batterybarpro.com/ ?

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Today received my type cover 3 cyan from ms store Ireland to my pleasant surprise with express shipping ups and within one day was in Athens and to me eventually!!!
    I wasn't expected so soon since the shipping confirmation said standard shipping(5-7 days)
    Well done MS!

BUT still not been shipped my SP3 since Monday that I did my pre order not even yesterday first day availability in Europe.
    Hope until Monday eventually have been shipped.
    I've been in contact with ms support chat in the morning but the representative could not give me more info when will be shipped and that I have to wait couple of day.

Hope not have to wait more than earlier next week.

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina using Tapatalk

9. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

2nd batterybar. - and i set the system battery icon to off so it doesnt clutter the TB.

10. wiidesire-2

wiidesire-2 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just tested it myself and it works perfect! Thanks for the idea spinedoc77

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.