Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YakaDaka

YakaDaka Pen Pal - Newbie

Aside from pen issues with the Surface Pro 3, I really wish this thing had the option of a greater depth, sturdy attachable keyboard. It can work now too since its weight is distributed more evenly I feel.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

1.jpg
    Factory reset my surface pro 3 after getting the docking station and did the test again. The results seem to be good for Bitlocker encrypted disk.

4. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

5. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's something that less about the SP3 itself, but rather about the SSD.

Just got a brand new SP3 as a replacement for my previous one (battery problems). However, Crystal Disk Info is reporting that it already has 289GB of data written to it.

That doesn't quite seem right, but I won't want to have to go back to the Microsoft Store just to confirm this and do another swap... Feels like it's a refurbished unit? Or is there something I don't know about with regards to in-factory testing?

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't heard of that, but I didn't see anyone test that when getting a new SP3. Actually I do not think it's a problem if you got a "brand-new" one, with packaging and all the stuff. But if it is sent from Surface Support Team, it is likely to be a certified factory refurb unit.

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was a brand new package right from the shelf of the Store. However if it's certified refurbished that would explain the 10% wear that the battery is reporting.

Should the box state that it's refurbished? The box his sealed and packaged like it's a brand new unit.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...that would explain the 10% wear that the battery is reporting...>>

...Try cycling the battery three or four times then reassess the battery condition...

9. damianbedoya

damianbedoya Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the i7 surface pro 3 model have less lag/allow for bigger brushes than the i5 when using Manga studio/photoshop? Any one has tried this? I know that is kind of an specific question but that would be my main reason to upgrade from the i5.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't been able to get my hands on an i7 SP3, but my guess is it should improve performance only slightly. When moving bigger brushes, the issue isn't processor speed or RAM, it's gpu speed. The i7 sports an Intel HD 5000 vs. the 4400 on the i5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.