Surface Pro 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nope, not possible with Wacom. The pen itself is passive. It's the digitizer that's active.

2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fantastic news. Lack of Adobe support has always been one of the largest motivators in choosing Wacom over N-Trig. Good to see the integration with SP3 and N-Trig will be better than ever. The partnership alone is reason enough to give it a try.

Mines been ordered. August can't come soon enough.

Sent from my GS4

3. gcoupe

I have to say that the SP3 models are tempting. But I have to be rational about this. My current devices are a full Desktop PC (home build) and a companion tablet (Lenovo ThinkPad 2, with GNSS, NFC and WWAN). I don't have a laptop.

If I were to look at the SP3 models for simply a replacement for my companion tablet, then I would go for the Core i3 model of the SP3. However, for roughly the same price as my TPT2, I would be losing GNSS, NFC, and WWAN with the SP3. I don't see the point.

It seems to me that the only option worth considering (for my case) would be the "origami computing" option - going for the i7 SP3 + docking station + type cover to replace both the Desktop AND the tablet. Expensive, yes, so I certainly couldn't justify it on economic terms, but it would be rather a statement of where I want to get to. And I'd still be losing the GNSS, NFC, and WWAN capabilities (why on earth haven't Microsoft caught up here - the SP3 is supposed to be the current flagship, but they still lag far behind in these areas?).

So, the crucial question for those of you who have been lucky enough to get your mitts on an SP3 - can it run Skyrim?

4. minnus

minnus Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I will skip the SP3 and stick with my SP1 till the next release. Given the release cycle of 7-8 months we've seen, I imagine the broadwell version will come out by the end of this year. I'm also quite bummed that they changed the power adapter interface.

be77solo likes this.
  5. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

I was thinking those thoughts too, but I heard that Broadwell is not slated to be released until 2015 - at the earliest. In which case there may be no point in waiting for Broadwell.

6. kersh

kersh Pen Pal - Newbie

¿Do you really use nfc and gnss? I've never found a use for that on a laptop when my phone is much more prepared in apps to use it and is faster. Also NFC on W8 is crippled and doesn't work with any other device.

As for wwan can be a nuance but any phone can mount with 2 clicks an AP and you don't need a second sim.

I would gladly lose wwan, nfc and gps in exchange of 3:2 aspect ratio and 800gr of weight with 9 hour battery

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  7. joshuad.wolcott

joshuad.wolcott Pen Pal - Newbie

Not yet. There is no ETA. Official word is that the products will begin rolling out to store "closer" to ship date.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The original duosense software and v.1 pen had no erasing capability. The Duosense 2 on the Flyer did. AnandTech | N-trig DuoSense Pen2: Who Needs a Stylus? The button functions could be swapped in the Duosense 2 software but only erase and right click were available. I think you're right that it came stock with the top button being the eraser.

Night and day between v.1 on the Slate and v.3.5 on my Fuji Q552. But, the tip is still an NTrig tip: too hard and still required a certain amount of tip travel to activate the pen, which required a certain technique of lowering the pen slowly into the hover zone and activating the pen before starting to write. Other than the noise, tip travel and hardness of the tip, the pen worked fine. The mechanism does wear out, however, and I had to replace at least one pen on each unit. I did try v.4 and it was a little improved over v3.5, which was a significant jump over v.2.

I still have a few AAAA batteries as well, since I've used NTrig for the past 3 years. The Wacom pen on my AVN8 is worlds better than the best NTrig pen I've ever used. I can make it silent and get a great writing feel with a matt SP on the M80TA. The feel of the Wacom digitizer is so much better than any NTrig experience I've had in the past, that I tend to use the pen far more, far longer and for tasks I would have shied away from in the past. For instance, I would not use the NTrig pen in meetings or other conference room functions while the AVN8 gets used exclusively. While I had my Fuji, I still used pen and paper quite a bit but I've almost eliminated the yellow legal pad since last February, when I got the AVN8.

I have been looking lovingly at the Thinkpad Yoga as a replacement for my X301 notebook. However, I am quite impressed with the Surface 3. I think it has great potential. There is little I do not like about the tablet. The 3:2 ratio display is something I did not expect to see resurrected by MS. Added to the lightness, thinness, kickstand, keyboard cover and overall great surface build, it is heads and shoulders over the Yoga in the running to replace the venerable X301. But, the inking has to be a significant improvement over what I've experienced before.

One thing I did really like about the Duosense software was the ability to switch from touch to pen and back again with only a quick double tap on the display. That setting in the software virtually eliminated issues with palm rejection. Another interesting ability of duosense is that it could take signal feed from both the NTrig grid on the display and the pen, allowing, at least in the Flyer (Android) the ability to do such things as hold the pen and rotate the tablet.

Since I'm eventually going to have to bring my M80TA back to the MS Store to be exchanged or repaired, I'll wait for the S3 to be available in the store so I can spend some time with the new pen. 'Till then, I'm hoping that a few of you get S3s from the online store so we can put the new pen under the microscope.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Preliminary launch dates of Broadwell CPUs

Yesterday VR-Zone Chinese Edition leaked preliminary launch dates of Broadwell mobile and desktop microprocessors. Broadwell is the name of the next generation Intel architecture, one of the main enhancements of which is substantially reduced power consumption. Many Broadwell products will be available as "Y" and "U" ULV systems on a chip (SoCs), integrating CPU cores, GPU and system logic. Mobile high-performance "H" processors and desktop processors will come with greater number of cores and/or beefed up GPU, and they will require an external chipset.

The first available Broadwell parts will be "Y" ultra low voltage SKUs with 2 CPU cores and GT2 graphics. Their qualifications samples will be available during weeks 22 - 23 of 2014, and production will start during weeks 26 - 29. The "Y" SoCs will be ready to ship sometime in September 2014.

"U" ULV SoCs, also with 2 CPU cores and GT2 GPU, will be launched later in the year. The "U" qualifications samples are expected during weeks 38 - 41, with a production availability in weeks 42 - 47. They will be followed by dual-core "U" microprocessors with GT3 graphics at the end of January or in February 2015. Qualification samples and production "U" GT3 chips are planned for weeks 43 - 48 and 49 respectively.

The last in the series of Broadwell processors are dual- and quad-core "H" mobile SKUs featuring GT2 and GT3e graphics, and quad-core LGA desktop/workstation chips, also with GT3e graphics. The target date for their qualification samples is week 6 of 2015. Production is planned for weeks 11 - 16 of 2015, and the processors will be ready to ship from mid-May to end of June 2015.

Broadwell will be available around the same time or shortly after the SP3 i3/i7 variants.
    Exclusive: Intel CEO promises Broadwell PCs on shelves for holidays | Reuters

Intel Corp's next-generation Broadwell processors will ship in time to be used in personal computers sold during the holiday season but probably won't be available for back-to-school shopping, Chief Executive Brian Krzanich said.

Speaking to Reuters at the Maker Faire in San Mateo, California, on Saturday, Krzanich said that following setbacks implementing new manufacturing technology, announced last October, Intel is on schedule to ship its Broadwell chips to PC manufacturers.

The timing of new chip rollouts is important to Intel and manufacturers looking to sell new PCs with better battery life and higher speeds.

"I can guarantee for holiday, and not at the last second of holiday," Krzanich said in an interview. "Back to school - that's a tight one. Back to school you have to really have it on-shelf in July, August. That's going to be tough."

Krzanich's comments were more precise than during Intel's most recent quarterly conference call with analysts in April. On that call, he said he expected Intel's customers to launch Broadwell-based products in the second half of 2014.

The back-to-school season around August, when parents sometimes buy new PCs for their children, has provided smaller sales bumps for PC makers in recent years than in the past, but the November/December U.S. holiday season is still viewed as a key opportunity to sell consumer electronics

JoeS likes this.
  10. gcoupe

HERE Maps uses GNSS on the tablet. I get a larger view than on my phone, so I find it easier to use. NFC is a bit of a luxury, I admit, just simplifies pairing with other devices so far. And I haven't tried using my phone as an AP. With my TPT2, I don't need to. If I went the SP3 route, then I'd need to. It's an option I should perhaps try with my TPT2 to see how easy it is in practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.